New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Is my PC nearing its death? It's an old P3 system.

I haven't found a virus (even when scanning in safe mode) but it still keeps on restarting while running Windows 2k. My virus definition files are up to date. It also stops while its running on Ubuntu Linux.

Could this be hardware problems already?

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    Try checking if the fans on the video card, cpu, and power supply are still functioning normally.

If you did not add or modify any hardware and settings recently, then constant rebooting means your PC is encountering errors and it could be hardware failure.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by number001 View Post
    Try checking if the fans on the video card, cpu, and power supply are still functioning normally.
    baka kailangan din ng konting linis.... in time dust accumulates inside the pc which can lead to loss in contacts among peripherals.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    checked those, cleaned the fans a lil bit, and i discovered that one of the ram sticks isn't placed firmly on the slot.

i tried to run my anti-virus again and it seems that i have csrs.exe and windows-anti.exe... san ba nanggaling tong mga ito? grr. it looks like i need to reinstall..

5. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    mukang kaialngan nga re-install pag software problem ksi =format madalas. Basta pag nag restart pa rin yan ng pa ulit uilit memory lng ang sira nyan ganyan din pc ko dati.

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by A121 View Post
    checked those, cleaned the fans a lil bit, and i discovered that one of the ram sticks isn't placed firmly on the slot.

i tried to run my anti-virus again and it seems that i have csrs.exe and windows-anti.exe... san ba nanggaling tong mga ito? grr. it looks like i need to reinstall..
    If you have several sticks of ram and did not install at least a stick properly, the system cannot use it and will not register in windows (right-click, "My Computer", see "General" tab). If you only have a stick of ram and it was not installed properly, the PC will not boot and will start beeping.

Re: virus.

To permanently get rid of them, the Hard disk need to be reformated and the OS re-installed. If you have other hard disk volumes (whether physical or different partitions within the same hard disk), make sure there are no viruses there also before reinstalling the OS.

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    May P3 din ako ginagamit ..halos walang patayan na ito ..
    brownout lang kung turn off namin ito.
    pero wala naman problema na ganyan ..

save mo na lang muna mga important files mo at reformat mo na ..
    madali na lang naman iyan pag format

8. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    busted RAM could be the problem

9. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBimmer View Post
    busted RAM could be the problem
    Can't be. You can't even boot if the mems are busted.

Unstable in Linux boot? Hardware definitely.

Ventilation and heat dissipation are the two most common problem of old (unstable) PCs.
    Last edited by Kikkomann; November 5th, 2006 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Wrong Spelling

10. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    could be:

-bad ram, check with memtest86

-bad processor/motherboard, check for bloated capacitors, try running prime95

-bad fans, replace

-dust causing overheating, clean

-gremlins

-cosmic rays :D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Unstable PC