New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2003

Txt, email reduce IQ more than pot
    The Philippine Star 04/28/2005

Workers distracted by phone calls, emails and text messages suffer a greater loss of IQ than a person smoking marijuana, a British study revealed.

The constant interruptions reduce productivity and leave people feeling tired and lethargic.

But the fact that people constantly break their concentration in order to answer and check these messages shows Britons are obsessed with technology.

Almost two out of three people check their electronic messages out of office hours and when on holiday, according to the survey carried out by TNS Research and commissioned by Hewlett Packard.

Half of all workers respond to an email within 60 minutes of receiving one while one in five will break off from a business or social engagement to respond to a message.

The survey, in which 1,100 Britons were quizzed, revealed that nine out of 10 people thought colleagues who answered messages during face-to-face meetings were rude.

Three out of 10 believed it was not only acceptable, but a sign of diligence and efficiency.

But the mental impact of trying to balance a steady inflow of messages with getting on with normal work took its toll.

In 80 clinical trials, Dr. Glenn Wilson, a psychiatrist at King’s College London University, monitored the IQ of workers throughout the day.

He found the IQ of those who tried to juggle messages and work fell by 10 points — the equivalent to missing a whole night’s sleep and more than double the four-point fall seen after smoking marijuana.

"This is a very real and widespread phenomenon," Wilson said.

"We have found that this obsession with looking at messages, if unchecked, will damage a worker’s performance by reducing their mental sharpness.

"Companies should encourage a more balanced and appropriate way of working," he said.

Dr. Wilson said the IQ drop was even more significant in the men who took part in the tests.

David Smith, from Hewlett Packard, said, "The research suggests that we are in danger of being caught up in a 24-hour ‘always on’ society.

"This is more worrying when you consider the potential impairment on performance and concentration for workers, and the consequent impact on businesses."

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    memory loss...
    wrong spelling....

3. Join Date
    May 2004
    mas maganda pa pala ang effect ng cannibis kesa texting... tsk tsk tsk... isip tuloy ako... text o tsonks? text o tsonks????

text na lang... bawal ang hemp e.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    kung may nawawala.. may nagagain din naman tayo.. hehehehe i think?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    distractions do really lower office productivity... kaya ako nag cloclose na minsan ng browser para hindi ma tempt...

6. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Text messages, I would probably agree with that. Some kids today can't spell correctly. What they know is English spelling ala text message. For emails....hmmmm....I dunno 'bout that. I normally receive 30-40 email a day (3/4 of them work-related) but my IQ seems to be normal. As for phone calls...hmmm...I dunno. 'Could be, if more than half of the phone calls a person receives each day is about gossip and stuff that are, well, not really worth a phone call.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Now it makes me think if TEXTING and TSIKOTING has similar effect on the users? Lower IQ?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Good thing we are not Brits. Hehehe..
    I think the study is applicable only sa mga Brits....i think?! :D

Txt & email reduce IQ more than pot. (British study revealed)