New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Am looking for a cheap analog/digital TV PVR to record some local shows. Currently we're on Destiny Cable(analog), but i'm anticipating that we'll be moving to SkyCable(digital) soon.

i found this on Amazon:

Hauppauge 1192 WinTV HVR-1950 External USB HDTV Tuner/Video Recorder

Will this do the trick? i'd like to be able to record in HD if available.

i've had USB TV tuners in the past, and i find the recordings on the grainy side; dunno if it's because it used software encoding or if it's because of the USB interface(the above supposedly has onboard MPEG-2 encoding)

tia

2. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Ang gamitin mo na tv ung meron built-in na audio at video out, then you can use your very very old vhs/betamax, one alternative ung mga ginagamit sa cctv na recorder, i set mo lan sa one channel para buong screen 1 lan ang video na nakarecord.

Sent via LaTE Network

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    Am looking for a cheap analog/digital TV PVR to record some local shows. Currently we're on Destiny Cable(analog), but i'm anticipating that we'll be moving to SkyCable(digital) soon.

i found this on Amazon:

Hauppauge 1192 WinTV HVR-1950 External USB HDTV Tuner/Video Recorder

Will this do the trick? i'd like to be able to record in HD if available.

i've had USB TV tuners in the past, and i find the recordings on the grainy side; dunno if it's because it used software encoding or if it's because of the USB interface(the above supposedly has onboard MPEG-2 encoding)

tia
    I'm not sure how good a quality you're looking for. These are samples of recordings from my USB2 Hauppage WinTV-HVR 950Q. The channel is only digital (non-HD) because the HD counterpart was playing infomercials. The tuner is on a Toshiba netbook. I then copied the footage to my ASUS laptop. I don't think the other tv tuners will have markedly improved footage because of the signal source. It's good enough to me. I'm surprised my netbook can handle the recording chores because the CPU falls below the minimum.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    hmm, ok na rin, i'm not that picky pag TV shows.

San po ninyo nabili? This i'd rather buy locally

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    hmm, ok na rin, i'm not that picky pag TV shows.

San po ninyo nabili? This i'd rather buy locally
    I don't know if Hauppage officially distributes its products in the Philippines. But, I recall seeing the very same box at a computer store somewhere. I can't recall where though. It could've been at the MoA or one of the SM (Taguig and LPC).

When I saw it, I remember thinking about everything I'd want already being in the PH, even tv tuners. It's pretty old. I recall seeing the same basic design back in 2006.

Edit:

Oh. Don't forget..... I have a cable box hooked up to the tv tuner which used only Channel 3 or Channel 4. When I used the tv tuner using direct cable hookup from the wall minus the cable box, the picture quality dropped somewhat.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; September 29th, 2014 at 08:53 PM.