New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Top 5 Reasons it Sucks to be an Engineering Student
    http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/i...omeworking.jpg

For many students, earning a degree in engineering is less than enjoyable and far from what they expected. Here are our biggest complaints about the educational rite of passage. Of course, they are sweeping generalizations. Feel free to disagree.

5. Awful Textbooks
    Thick, dry, black and white manuscripts are rarely a source of inspiration and sometimes can cause loads of confusion. Often, the text is poorly written and interrupted by lengthy equations with symbols that are different from those used by the professor during lectures.

4. Professors are Rarely Encouraging
    During each class, a professor that would rather be tending to his research will walz up to a blackboard or ovehead projector and scribble out equations for an hour without uttering a single sentence to create some excitement.

3. Dearth of Quality Counseling
    College students may not have a sense for how to build their resume and they might be clueless about the variety of career opportunities that await them. Unfortunately, some academic advisers do little more than post fliers about internships and hand out a checklist of classes to take. They should make some projections about the future job market, learn about the interests of each young scholar, and offer them tailored advice for how to best prepare themselves.

2. Other Disciplines Have Inflated Grades
    Brilliant engineering students may earn surprisingly low grades while slackers in other departments score straight As for writing book reports and throwing together papers about their favorite zombie films.

Some professors view undergraduate education as a type of natural selection, but their analogy is flawed. Many of the brightest students may struggle while mediocre scholars can earn top scores because they have a larger group of supportive friends to or more time to dedicate to studying.

1. Every Assignment Feels the Same
    Nearly every homework assignment and test question is a math problem. Only a few courses require creativity or offer hands on experience.

By Aaron Rowe
    WIRED SCIENCE
    http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2...reasons-i.html
    I agree with most of them except for #4. I would say most profs at my alma mater is eccentric and quite interesting. Hell, before I entered engineering (ECE) school, i thought very highly of myself. nung nag-aaral na ako nako ala ako masabi. masuwerte lang talaga na nakatapos ako. dugo't pawis talaga .

2. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    engineering days makes me smile & makes me cry...
    1st year 1st sem, 7 lang out of 70 students ang pumasa sa algebra!!! isa ako sa bumagsak.. .. no class, no lecture, no exam, no whatever,no good prof namin, bumagsak kami ng walang dahilan....

3. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fayet View Post
    engineering days makes me smile & makes me cry...
    1st year 1st sem, 7 lang out of 70 students ang pumasa sa algebra!!! isa ako sa bumagsak.. .. no class, no lecture, no exam, no whatever,no good prof namin, bumagsak kami ng walang dahilan....
    speaking of algebra, 2x ko kinuha ang subject nayan

una sa arki, 3units
    then sa EE 5units, waaaa diman nila kinredit yong 3units ko sa arki

best part dyan e, nong 1st year ako kita ko mga 4th at 5th year dala lang calculator at isang catleya notebook.sabi ko sa sarili ko ang gagaling a.
    then nong umabot na ako sa 5th year don ko narealize na kaya pala ganon kasi ala na sila alam isulat

back to the topic, swak lahat yon ha ha ha

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I would like to add:

- engineering sucks because of very few girls take the course and of them, only much fewer are pretty. The other way is also the same, girls don't like engineering because most of the guys are nerds. hehehe

(Hey, I graduated Mech Eng so I know this first hand.)

5. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    I would like to add:

- engineering sucks because of very few girls take the course and of them, only much fewer are pretty. The other way is also the same, girls don't like engineering because most of the guys are nerds. hehehe

(Hey, I graduated Mech Eng so I know this first hand.)
    Good thing, in my Univ, the Engineering Bldg is between College of Arch. & Fine Arts and Education...So there's no scarcity of pretty girls.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    I was a Chemical Engineering Student until my 4th year, pinalipat ako ng kurso ng tatay ko, kasi daw walang pera sa engineering. Kaya nag accounting ako (nahabol ko naman at natapos rin sabay ng mga kaklase ko sa engineering), and naging CPA na rin. Pero I still wonder what if I were able to finish my engineering studies? Ano na kaya ngayon ang narating ko? Nakapasa kaya ako sa board? I used to enjoy engineering math (from algebra to differential equations), and I still enjoy math until now. Parang makes you wonder lang. Tama sila na walang masyadong magagandang mga bebot na engineering students, maraming mukhang wrestlers nga e hehehe). I guess my life would have taken another course (baka ako na ang makakadiskubre ng non-hallucinogenic, non-narcotic na shabu hehehe).

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    hehehe! when i was in college, yun engineering building lagi ang nasa dulo kaya walang girls. tapos lahat sa klase puro lalaki. kung may babae man mukha pa rin lalaki!

Numeth lang yata sa engineering math ang take 2 ko.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    well sa IE dominated ng female, konti lang pumapasa na lalake kasi mas masipag and matalino babae, male dominated eng courses are mech, civil and ece pero sa chem, manu and indus pantay na or mas madaming female

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005

5. Awful textbook,- yes, very plainly written, but if you can find enjoyment in solving those equations, then you should be okay. My only regret is that they only provided the answer every other number (I was solving everything kasi).... Nerd!

4. Professors are rarely encouraging,- I didn't feel it that way for most of them. There are a few who are indeed aloof but most of them taught us very well. It must be the expectation and culture in the engineering school I attended.. One Professor (Electromagnetic Theory) when I was consulting if I could withdraw, even challenged me , "Mr. xxxxx, no guts, no glory"... Patay!

3. Death of quality counseling - the school where I graduated has been very successful in assisting and guiding their graduates on their job search. But hey, why am I here???... hehehe

2. Other disciplines have inflated grades,- this I can agree. During my college days, other students can really afford to play cards and party and pass their subjects. On the other hand, we needed to go to the library and study to pass....hehehe... I remember one of the former Philippine (Govt) Cabinet Secretaries who was in another college was egging us engineering students to participate in a university-wide boycott. He was holding a megaphone and encouraging us to go out of our classrooms... We shouted back, "After classes, we will join you...."

1. Every assignment feels the same,- not really. There are varieties in the assignments given and if you can play around with these, then, you're made. Also, creativity is encouraged if you're attempting to submit a similar solution from one of your classmates....

As for the girls,- yes, they're rare and not really outstanding,- they look more like "transistors", "diodes" and "capacitors".... :peace:

So, we have to look for them in other places.....

5707:tumbleweed:
    Last edited by CVT; March 26th, 2008 at 02:15 PM.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post

As for the girls,- yes, they're rare and not really outstanding,- they look more like "transistors", "diodes" and "capacitors".... :peace:

So, we have to look for them in other places.....

5707:tumbleweed:
    +1,000
    Natawa lang ako sa thread na to, those were the ECE days hehehe
    Kakaunti nga girls sa Engineering. Kung meron man, mukhang lalaki o wrestler, o di kaya babae na nakaranas ng kuryente o nag short circuit, iba na takbo ng utak, super nerd na.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Top 5 Reasons it Sucks to be an Engineering Student