New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Teen Invents Flashlight That Could Change The World

Ann Makosinski was just another teenager with another science project when she joined her local science fair in Victoria, Canada, last year. Her invention, a flashlight that is powered solely from hand heat, took second place at the competition.

Ann, 16, and her parents, both of whom are HAM radio operators and like to fiddle with electronics, were satisfied with that result.

“It’s a very simple project,” said Arthur Makosinski, Ann’s father. “It has four electrical components. Let’s move on and do something different.”

But had Ann left her project in Victoria, situated just 25 miles north of Washington State, the world may have missed out on a light source that doesn’t use batteries, solar power or wind energy.

Think about that for a moment: a flashlight that shines for as long as you hold onto it. No more scrambling for and chucking away AA batteries. It could have an immediate impact on more than 1.2 billion people -- one-fifth of the world’s population -- who, according to the World Bank, lack regular access to electricity.

more.....

2. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    ^
    wondering what the first place project was

3. Join Date
    Sep 2015
    ano na nangyari sa invention na ito meron na kaya sa market?

4. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by kagalingan View Post
    ano na nangyari sa invention na ito meron na kaya sa market?
    Ann discovered something else to hold in the dark. She did not even need light to find it, nor it to find her.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2015
    ^
    walangjoh!!!! Dec 2002 tapos first post and mala xerex xaviera pa ang tema hahahahahha!!!!

yebo with an 8, why only now? 18years and this is your first post!!!!

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by kagalingan View Post
    ^
    walangjoh!!!! Dec 2002 tapos first post and mala xerex xaviera pa ang tema hahahahahha!!!!

yebo with an 8, why only now? 18years and this is your first post!!!!
    Pre, ako yan.

Na log out ako sa celphone. I could not remember what email i use so i tried the email of that account. Reset the password. I did not notice na yebo8 pala yang account na yan.

Kaya di ako naglologout dito sa account ko sa tab kasi i don't know my password to use in this acct's email. I have not used the email connected with this acct for decades.

Sorry po.
    Last edited by yebo; November 25th, 2020 at 06:33 PM.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2015
    yebs,

pwede ka pala sa xerex ah.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Wala na yung original article but I remember this from Google Science Fair.

IIRC basically peltier device, but instead of pumping in electricity to make the cold side cold, she uses body heat on the cold side element to generate electricity.

Problema ng device nya is doesn't really work well when it's warm, kasi the electricity produced depends on the temperature delta between body heat (36-37C) and the peltier element which will be at ambient. So dito sa Pilipinas next to useless yan.

A paper on her flashlight said significantly more light output at 5C compared to 10C, but at 10C acceptable pa naman daw. Don't forget though that it's going to be significantly cold, and the device will be draining your body heat.

Harnessing Alternative Energy: The Body-Heat Powered Flashlight
    Makosinski tested the flashlights and found that both were brighter when the air temperature was 5 degrees Celsius than when it was 10 degrees, due to the bigger difference between body temperature and the air temperature. But even at 10 C, both flashlights maintained a steady beam of light for over 20 minutes. All in all. the materials for each flashlight cost about $26, she said, but she thinks that if it were mass produced, it could be manufactured and sold for a far lower price.