New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines



Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    29,320
    #1
    [SIZE=4]MacBook Air, Ultrabook spell doom for optical drive[/SIZE]
    Brooke Crothers
    by Brooke Crothers November 19, 2011 2:31 PM PST


    [SIZE=1]HP's new 13-inch Folio Ultrabook. As with the MacBook Air, a built-in optical drive is not an option.
    (Credit: Hewlett-Packard)[/SIZE]


    With Apple likely forgoing optical drives across all or most of its MacBooks, and Ultrabooks doing the same, it's no surprise that the venerable whirring drive will spin away, albeit gradually, into obscurity.

    Next to go driveless at Apple is the 15-inch MacBook Air. 9to5Mac says Apple almost brought out a 15-inch Air in late 2010 (but didn't because of a problem with the hinges). Apple now has plans to make this happen next year when Intel's graphics-centric Ivy Bridge processor ships.

    Ultrabooks will do their part to hurry the otherwise slow demise of the optical drive. As many as 50 Ultrabooks are expected to debut at CES this year, and all of them will come without the drives, since by definition the design cannot accommodate the bulk of an optical drive.....

    CLICK on link to continue: TECH: "MacBook Air, Ultrabook spell doom for ..."
    LINK: TECH: "MacBook Air, Ultrabook spell doom for ..."

  2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    22,710
    #2
    Optical drive? Wuzzat? Plays laser-dics?

    I've been living without a DVD-ROM or even a CD-ROM on my laptops for the past four years... I think thanks to the advent of netbooks and tablets, the slim optical drive really has gone the way of the dodo already.

    And good riddance. Those slim drives are really finicky and unreliable... I mean... desktop optical drives are not that much better, but at least they're replaceable.

    Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

  3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    29,320
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Optical drive? Wuzzat? Plays laser-dics?

    I've been living without a DVD-ROM or even a CD-ROM on my laptops for the past four years... I think thanks to the advent of netbooks and tablets, the slim optical drive really has gone the way of the dodo already.

    And good riddance. Those slim drives are really finicky and unreliable... I mean... desktop optical drives are not that much better, but at least they're replaceable.
    Notebook slim DVD/CD internal drives are also replaceable since they already come in a standard form.

    Anyway, the only time I used a DVD or CD drive is when I was installing Windows on a new computer, otherwise it's a legacy piece of hardware.

  4. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    22,349
    #4
    Hindi ko na din nagagamit masyado DVD/CD ng laptop, PC. Mostly USB drive and slim hard drives na talaga. Mas reliable and consistent performance. Ganun talaga, evolution working at its best. Baka later sobra mura ng USB yan na ang default medium for OS ng new PC's and laptops etc of because of the increasing internet connection, on line na lang pag-download nung mga drivers din like what we can do now naman din.

  5. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    703
    #5
    ^ Mac OS Lion has been on the usb drive for the past months already ending the DVD reign of installation discs for Apple.

    I don't know exactly if i'm ready for a DVD-less laptop because I mainly use them for backup (DVD-burned backup files) in addition to backing up via external HDD. Beyond that, i never see any point in using it as software and driver updates are already OTA.

    OT: if the 15" Air will be launched next year, I have to sell my 8-month old 15" MBP. any takers?

  6. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    447
    #6
    another apple hype... compact and stylish but lacks the power to run most apps... it would be better if they put an i7 quad core extreme processor and a ati crossfire 4gb video card in it...
    basic reason why people divert to alienware...

    apple tends to tease the customers by giving them a mid range spec.. nothing too slow and nothing too fast...

    and IMHO buying thousands of pesos of a loptop without a optical drive and still cant process intensive photoshops... can be counted as a scam :D

  7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    22,710
    #7
    Uhh... a lot of photographers use Macs. The Air is light, compact, powerful, have a seven hour battery life, run Photoshop 11' and can process raw camera files. And the 15" that's coming out next year will have the i7. I don't know what more you'd want from a travelling photographer's laptop.

    Besides, if you're buying an ultra-slim, you're not buying it for the same reasons you buy a bulky high-end gaming laptop...

    Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

  8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    29,320
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by greatauror28 View Post
    ^ Mac OS Lion has been on the usb drive for the past months already ending the DVD reign of installation discs for Apple.

    I don't know exactly if i'm ready for a DVD-less laptop because I mainly use them for backup (DVD-burned backup files) in addition to backing up via external HDD. Beyond that, i never see any point in using it as software and driver updates are already OTA.
    If you still feel the need for a DVD/CD drive, you can always opt for an external slim drive for those rare occasions that you need to burn a disc. Ever since I started having a portable PC (I started with netbooks) a few years ago, its always have been a without an optical drive so I really do not feel the need for it (short of installing the OS).

  9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    29,320
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Uhh... a lot of photographers use Macs. The Air is light, compact, powerful, have a seven hour battery life, run Photoshop 11' and can process raw camera files. And the 15" that's coming out next year will have the i7. I don't know what more you'd want from a travelling photographer's laptop.

    Besides, if you're buying an ultra-slim, you're not buying it for the same reasons you buy a bulky high-end gaming laptop...
    Yup, I agree. For photography use, most people would be willing to have a slower laptop if it means it's lightweight and small to fit in a convenient & comfortable traveling bag. Generally they just need the laptop to backup their photos from their cameras and maybe send those same photos to the internet. Rarely do you need a laptop to do editing work that requires a more powerful PC.

  10. Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    6,931
    #10
    Pano naging mabagal ang Mac? Lahat ng kakilala kong photographer naglipatan na sa mac for editing/ processing purposes..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
TECH NEWS: "MacBook Air, Ultrabook spell doom for optical drive"