New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    CDs and DVDs are definitely going to become more and more niche as time goes by. I'm anticipating that we're on the cusp of CD-priced solid-state storage... considering how dense the medium has become, already.

Would be less prone to damage than CDs, though I don't know how they'd compare in terms of longevity.

We really need a new high-terabyte permanent storage solution. It sucks that none of our current tech will outlast properly stored microfiche and microfilm files.
    Even Thomas Edison era music recordings are still perfectly playable. We can't say the same thing with current electronic storage media yet.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Even Thomas Edison era music recordings are still perfectly playable. We can't say the same thing with current electronic storage media yet.
    Time to transfer my MP3 collecton to vinyl. I wonder if digitally encoding to vinyl would work? Hybrid LPs with a hundred times the storage. Only, if you have a scratch, you lose a dozen songs at once.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Time to transfer my MP3 collecton to vinyl. I wonder if digitally encoding to vinyl would work? Hybrid LPs with a hundred times the storage. Only, if you have a scratch, you lose a dozen songs at once.
    Er... isn't that the way they used to make vinyl records? They first record to digital then mixing then mastering to stamping plate.

So it's totally possible to transfer MP3s to vinyl records.

The niche won't go away completely. Just because the iPhone and smartphone derivatives sell in incredibly huge numbers doesn't mean that traditional cellphones have died out. There will still be users who need a simple phone with a keypad... just as there are still users who need a simple portable device with an actual keyboard instead of a touch-screen.
    I really hate touch-screen devices. Wouldn't even consider to replace my EeePC with an iPad, for example.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Er... isn't that the way they used to make vinyl records? They first record to digital then mixing then mastering to stamping plate.

So it's totally possible to transfer MP3s to vinyl records.
    Vinyl itself is analog... which is why you can listen to a record with a needle and a makeshift paper cone.

What I mean is that you transcribe digital information directly to vinyl as digital, in binary ones and zeros straight onto the disc surface.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    a powerful correction software should be invented so that the stylus only reads digital 1's and 0's and nothing in between on a slightly worn out record

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Vinyl itself is analog... which is why you can listen to a record with a needle and a makeshift paper cone.

What I mean is that you transcribe digital information directly to vinyl as digital, in binary ones and zeros straight onto the disc surface.
    of course it is possible to store binary data on the vinyl ... but assuming the vinyl/turntable specs aren't changed, you'll lose a lot on the resulting (decoded) audio signal bandwidth

8. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Are solid state storage devices really reliable for long term storage compared to optical or mechanical HDD devices?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Monseratto View Post
    Are solid state storage devices really reliable for long term storage compared to optical or mechanical HDD devices?
    USB flash drives are supposed to remain "stable" for 15 to 30 years. But it's not yet proven.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Monseratto View Post

SSD is definitely more reliable since there is no mechanical moving/rotating devices unlike HDD.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
TECH: "Are Netbooks Dead? The Prognosis Is Grim"