New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Is anyone using this at work? They've been around since before my college days, i believe they started out with motherboards then jumped into enterprise servers. They do OEM for Nutanix, so that piqued our interest na baka OK siya.

Naghahanap kami ng options for our data center; seems that the big name brands aren't as solid as we thought. And the proposals they come up with for service/maintance....grabe.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    Is anyone using this at work? They've been around since before my college days, i believe they started out with motherboards then jumped into enterprise servers. They do OEM for Nutanix, so that piqued our interest na baka OK siya.

Naghahanap kami ng options for our data center; seems that the big name brands aren't as solid as we thought. And the proposals they come up with for service/maintance....grabe.
    Not sure about support and service for supermicros. Feel ko sa supermicro medyo you are on your own with regards to immediate support. I know redwood sells them but I don't know how much/little they sell of them (impact on availability of parts?). Aside from them, not sure who else to get these from.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    If for home or dev labs, they're ok. But for production, especially here in the PH, you're better off sticking with the big brands for their service and support, IMO.

I've been wanting to use one of their server boards for my home server but they're pretty much hard to come by or otherwise expensive. In which case, inggit ako sa US kasi they have them on eBay for a lot less.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2014
    We have a dell compellent storage at work and still using it untill now for almost 6 years, warranty already expired and its a supermicro inside. So based on that, its reliable even on enterprise.

Sent from a mobile device.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Reliability is easy kasi...

We have 15 year old clone computers that are still running without a hitch.

What you pay for sa branded is the support (Same day, little to no downtime, etc). That's why sa USA and I guess bigger multinationals, you see people upgrading servers once the warranty is up.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    No doubt, Supermicro servers are good. It's very popular among IT practitioners and enthusiasts precisely for its relatively lower price. But for mission-critical applications, after-sales support is usually more important, oftentimes, surpassing the importance of reliability. Reliability can be easily augmented with redundancy and HA. It's what happens after a fault or failure is discovered that is usually the concern of enterprise organizations.