New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    http://rt.com/usa/199863-artificial-...gers-humanity/

agree?

well the way i see it us humans have evolved over a very long time to sort of play well with and to treat other members of OUR TRIBE rather well, partly because we stand to benefit if we do this. this is also the reason why we don't treat humans of other "tribes" very well i.e. racism, etc. but that's not the point here

so this "being good to thy neighbor" is kinda hard-wired into us... so unless an AI is somehow built right from the beginning to not do humans harm i think the machines of the future will turn on us

2. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    the problem is that true A.I.'s would be able to reprogram itself. If it deems humans as impediments towards its goal then skynet and hal9000 happens.
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I think the 3rd to the last paragraph sums up what Musk is worried about:

Musk is not the only one worried about AI. A group of scholars from Oxford University wrote in a blog post last year that “when a machine is 'wrong,', it can be wrong in a far more dramatic way, with more unpredictable outcomes, than a human could. Simple algorithms should be extremely predictable, but can make bizarre decisions in 'unusual' circumstances."
    Computers are generally efficient at dealing with both simple and complex problems they are programmed to solve, but not so if the parameters deviate. You can teach it how to deal with deviations (so called fuzzy logic), but again, it only works as good as the one who programmed it.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    it used to be that human is the AI experiment

5. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by safeorigin View Post
    the problem is that true A.I.'s would be able to reprogram itself. If it deems humans as impediments towards its goal then skynet and hal9000 happens.

well musk likened HAL to a puppy dog LOL

6. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I think the 3rd to the last paragraph sums up what Musk is worried about:

Computers are generally efficient at dealing with both simple and complex problems they are programmed to solve, but not so if the parameters deviate. You can teach it how to deal with deviations (so called fuzzy logic), but again, it only works as good as the one who programmed it.

well traditional "programmed" computers are no threat to us. what's dangerous are "software constructs" that work pretty much like a brain

remember than the instructions for building our brains are coded in our DNA, so the foundations for a brain-like computer i believe are relatively simplistic, but are able to scale up and interconnect to a remarkable complexity that is like our brains. i believe a brain-like computer will become a reality in our lifetime

7. Join Date
    Sep 2014

Chappie!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    well traditional "programmed" computers are no threat to us. what's dangerous are "software constructs" that work pretty much like a brain

remember than the instructions for building our brains are coded in our DNA, so the foundations for a brain-like computer i believe are relatively simplistic, but are able to scale up and interconnect to a remarkable complexity that is like our brains. i believe a brain-like computer will become a reality in our lifetime
    there are already machines that use neural networks that function like the brain. IBM makes them, then soon google will probably exterminate mankind with their huge investments on drones. Hahaha

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by french View Post

Chappie!
    Number5,- Alive!....

“The measure of a man is what he does with power – LJIOHF!”
    Duterte for President of the Philippines in 2016!
    24.9K:phone:

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Neural networks, A.I., etc are OK for analysis and research stuff; for life and death situations, i'd rather a human -- irrational and self-destructive as they may be -- to be in charge.

What's more, can't A.I./neural networks may not be "smart" enough to detect flase/inaccurate data; and, Isaac Asimove notwithstanding, i don't think you can program a conscience into A.I. -- a true conscience that can feel remorse, etc. Not yet anyways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast