New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Happy Holidays to everyone!!
    Just moved in to new house and need a router that would reach the 3rd floor. Any suggestions on brand and model would be very helpful. Salamat po!!

2. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    There's no commercial router that can actually served three floors effectively. Install one router per floor. Three cheapest routers should work much better than a single high end router.

I nice AP though is a Ubiquiti Unifi. Just google it.

Hope it helps.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    ^ That's quite inaccurate. I agree that it may not be optimal, but it is definitely possible for a single AP to serve all three floors (typically, by proper placement on the 2nd flr.). However, the actual coverage will depend on several factors such as the kind of materials the furnitures, building, and other obstructions are actually built with, interference, the type of antenna used on the AP, signal strengths, how big the house is, where the bulk of the users are, etc.

From the top of my head, good WiFi routers are Asus, Linksys/Cisco, Buffalo, and D-Link. Check local availability of the model/features you need that's within your budget and check for online reviews.
    Last edited by oj88; December 29th, 2013 at 01:47 AM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Sa linksys meron silang range extender na router that could suit your needs sir.

Sent from my iPad using Tsikot Car Forums

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by evag View Post
    Happy Holidays to everyone!!
    Just moved in to new house and need a router that would reach the 3rd floor. Any suggestions on brand and model would be very helpful. Salamat po!!

Generally it is the best to have three individual routers per floor. Have one as the main while the two others will be linked to that one (via UTP cable for best results). You can also use wireless WIFI extenders but results will vary depending on signal quality.

Personally I like using TPLINK brand wifi routers with three external antennas. I personally avoid routers with internal antennas because signal distance is usually compromised.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by confused shoes View Post
    There's no commercial router that can actually served three floors effectively. Install one router per floor. Three cheapest routers should work much better than a single high end router.

I nice AP though is a Ubiquiti Unifi. Just google it.

Hope it helps.
    As mentioned by sir OJ, it depends on the area of application. Being at microwave frequencies wifi could easily penetrate non-interfering objects like wood, concrete, non-metal particle less than its wavelength. It also depends on the transmission technique applied. The best thing to do is make a site survey using your existing wifi device. Most commercial wifi transceivers are set at milliwatt range same as the mobile devices so site survey should show how far both your AP and mobile device could communicate. The carrier-grade types operate at higher gain and transmit power so it performs better.

Here are some brands to rely on when it comes to performance: Ruckus, Cisco/ Meraki, Aruba, Aerohive
    Other good brands: Ubiquiti, Motorolla, Ericsson, Siemens, Huawei, ZTE, Alcatel/Lucent, Juniper, Tellabs, ADC, RAD, NEC, Nokia, Nortel (the last two used to make very good products but i think they died after the com meltdown)

And the most common brands in the wet market: Linksys, SMC, 3-Com, Netgear, D-Link, Buffalo, Asus, TPLink, Tenda, Zyxel, Belkin, Trendnet, Casia, CDRKING