New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Religious believers more depressed than atheists: study
    by Jennifer Dunning Posted: September 20, 2013 7:43 PM Last Updated: September 20, 2013 8:00 PM

Even if people's faith in religion makes them feel good right down to their souls, they are still more likely than an atheist to get depressed, according to a new study.

The study, published in the October issue of Psychological Medicine but online now, followed more than 8,000 people in rural and urban areas in seven countries for one year. During the research, they were each examined at six- and 12-month intervals.

In those time frames, 10.3 per cent of religious participants became depressed, compared with 7.0 per cent for atheists and 10.5 per cent for those with a "spiritual understanding of life," the study found.

The results also varied between country and religion. For example, spiritual participants from the U.K. were found to be more than three times more likely to be depressed than their secular counterparts.

Those who practised varying religions showed the highest rate of depression - 11.5 per cent - followed by Protestants at 10.9 per cent, those without a specific religion at 10.8 per cent, and Catholics at 9.8 per cent.

Along with the U.K., residents of Spain, Estonia, Portugal, Chile and the Netherlands were involved in the study, which is called "Spiritual and religious beliefs as risk factors for the onset of major depression: an international cohort study."

The researchers concluded "these results do not support the notion that religious and spiritual life views enhance psychological well-being. There was no evidence of religion acting as a buffer to prevent depression after a serious life event."

Despite only select countries being included in this new research, past studies have found the parts of the U.S. with the highest religious rates also have the highest depression rates, according to Guardian Express.

Earlier this year, however, the U.S.-based National Center for Biotechnology Information released a study done at the University of Saskatchewan that found a 22 per cent lower risk of depression for monthly church attendees.

That data came from the Canadian National Population Health Survey between 1994 and 2008. Most of the monthly churchgoers in that study were also "older, female, and married," the study noted.
    source: Religious believers more depressed than atheists: study - Your Community

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    I'm an atheist and I follow Ayn Rand's philosophy of objectivism. I'm never really depressed and always try to look for the positive angle in everything.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    it's the guilt, plus the feeling that you've been abandoned when your prayers don't get answered.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I don't get it. Sa RCC, it's like a sin to be affluent so you have to "buy your way" to salvation.

Tama. You get the never-ending guilt-trip if you fail to give a generous donation to the parish or whatever bingo bonanza or cake raffle they're coming up with.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    it's not a sin to be rich.
    it's not a sin liking being rich.
    it's not a sin enjoying being rich.
    what's a sin, is what some resort to doing, to remain rich or get richer.
    play fair, and you shouldn't feel guilty of anything.

if those RCCs feel their Religion is stifling, they should see what the other religions require of their people..

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    nadedepress mga religious coz they think bad things don't happen to them coz they're good (or believe they're good)

(or they believe God is on their side)

so when bad things happen to them they get depressed. they question God. "why did this happen to me?! what have i done to deserve this?!"

and they see non-religious people doing great and think "why isnt God punishing those people?!"

"life is unfair!!"

kaya nadedepress sila

kasi meron sila expectations of reward and punishment

i believe life is random

things happen for no reason

you can die in a car accident regardless if you're religious or not

sh*t happens

that's life
    Last edited by uls; September 23rd, 2013 at 03:19 PM.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i'm waiting for the truly religious people of tsikot to show up.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    nadedepress mga religious coz they think bad things don't happen to them coz they're good (or believe they're good)

(or they believe God is on their side)

so when bad things happen to them they get depressed. they question God. "why did this happen to me?! what have i done to deserve this?!"

and they see non-religious people doing great and think "why isnt God punishing those people?!"

"life is unfair!!"

kaya nadedepress sila

kasi meron sila expectations of reward and punishment

i believe life is random

things happen for no reason

you can die in a car accident regardless if you're religious or not

sh*t happens

that's life
    i believe in cause and effect. **** happens because somebody ate too much. the whole heaven and hell thing is pure bs. keep punching anybody and eventually somebody will punch you back, cause and effect.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Humility and acceptance after giving it your best, are your greatest strengths....

21.2K:tomato:

10. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    So the old saying: "God has a plan for you" is just turd talk...Because if you do, you'd be depressed at the end. hehehe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast