New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    If we don't take the price into consideration, is there an advantage in getting a Sony VAIO over an ASUS laptop?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Depends on the feature set. Past Vaios I've seen had weird behavior of certain ports such as Firewire. Sony also tended to push its own proprietary formats in the past while ASUS laptops seemed to have standard hardware/software support.

As for durability of hardware...... I don't think Sony hardware is any better than ASUS hardware. Same goes for Apple, Dell, and my own Toshiba.

ASUS laptops tend to be marketed as gaming laptops here. That should give a clue on how durable they are:

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/X..._Pro_Notebook/

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Automahn View Post
    If we don't take the price into consideration, is there an advantage in getting a Sony VAIO over an ASUS laptop?
    had the luxury of using both. specs wise and performance wise, they are almost the same, but imho, the asus has some advantages like:

a. upgradability. most asus units i know can be upgraded (video card, processor).
    b. service and support. the vaio that i have used cannot be repaired by sony philippines due to lack of parts. when i deposited my unit to them before, they said that they will still be shipping the unit to singapore.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    asus for me. spilled some liquid into my keyboard and screen, asus replaced them since it's under a 2 yr global warranty

5. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Thanks for the inputs fellas. Guess it'll be ASUS then.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Automahn View Post
    Thanks for the inputs fellas. Guess it'll be ASUS then.
    I'd have an ASUS laptop right now (as an impulse buy) if they were sold retail here. But alas, they're not.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the only thing you get with VAIO is all form factor and style over the ASUS models.

ASUS is not a pushover brand - their G series gaming laptops are probably better than any VAIO out there (and when you take price into consideration, it becomes no contest). they even can outdo Sony at their own game, since imo their Lamborghini laptops are much nicer than any VAIO.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Asustek has long been a contract manufacturer of various computer boards and peripherals... With this experience and background,- I'd choose Asus over Vaio...

6505:Bath:

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Sorry,- double-post again.....

6505:Bath:

Sony VAIO vs. ASUS laptop