New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Hi guys.

Any of you Smartbro users know how much electric juice the power supply and the antennae eats? Not a trick question - I'm asking, he he. I'm trying to figure out something.

Another Q for smartbro users: did you guys notice an increase in your electric bill after you guys installed Smartbro?

Hope you guys can help me out. You're help would allow me to finalize my estimates/computations for this little side-project I'm doing.

TIA

2. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    think you can compute it by the info on the power adaptor it uses.

as for our electric bill... did not notice a significant increase. but i also turn off the antenna when i go to sleep or when i leave the house

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    the motorola power supply consumes 0.5 amp. you guys do the math.

been running the power supply 24/7 for more than two years plugged on a 110v transformer to minimize heat. I have no idea if it makes significant consumption though. but imo, maliit lang siguro.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolodeon View Post
    Hi guys.

Another Q for smartbro users: did you guys notice an increase in your electric bill after you guys installed Smartbro?

TIA
    Yes there was a huge increase in my electric bill, but not due to Smartbro, but the Lopez's Meralco system loss.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rion View Post
    the motorola power supply consumes 0.5 amp. you guys do the math.

been running the power supply 24/7 for more than two years plugged on a 110v transformer to minimize heat. I have no idea if it makes significant consumption though. but imo, maliit lang siguro.
    The 0.5A could be the maximum rating of the power supply. I could not imagine it consuming 110W (220Vrms x 0.5A), as it is just a small transceiver (and the power supply is so small)....

Let me checkout my old setup tonight....

6303:fetch:

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post

The 0.5A could be the maximum rating of the power supply. I could not imagine it consuming 110W (220Vrms x 0.5A), as it is just a small transceiver (and the power supply is so small)....

Let me checkout my old setup tonight....

I see, akala ko systems loss na yan.

I remember kasi in an ad. unplugging your Phone Charger when not in use for x hours will light up x homes or something.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005

The power supply specs an output of 24VDC at 0.417A. This means that the power output is approx 10W. A typical handheld VHF transceiver outputs 5W.

nicolodeon, bro, would you be so kind to share with us what you are planning to do here?

8. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Konti man ang consumo, sa long run malaki din iyan ... it's not just the cost, it's the environment as well.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post
    The power supply specs an output of 24VDC at 0.417A. This means that the power output is approx 10W. A typical handheld VHF transceiver outputs 5W.

nicolodeon, bro, would you be so kind to share with us what you are planning to do here?

Let me clarify this bit, if you may.

The 5W output of a typical handheld VHF transceiver refers to the RF output at its antenna terminal. On it's own, it's not indicative of the electrical power consumed by the whole device (the transceiver).

---

The ratings on the power supply are just the maximum ratings of the juice it can produce. If you measure the output of the power supply, you don't include the losses within it which is still part of the total power consumption of the system.

I think what nicolodeon wants to know is the total power consumed by the SmartBro system. That would need the ratings measured at the supply point of the system - which is the AC input of the power supply.

But he has to consider that the system consumes the most power only when it's transmitting and receiving data packets at the same time. Transmitting consumes more power than when receiving, so he might want to know the ratio between TX+RX, TX-only, RX-only and idle modes.

Me, I'd rather consider the power supply under full load at 100% duty cycle.

Ano ba kasi yang project? And how much precision do you want?
    Last edited by StraightSix; June 26th, 2008 at 04:56 AM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hehe, baka nageexperiment si nicolodeon kung increase nya yung power baka bumilis din transfer rate :bwahaha:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Smartbro Antennae Power Consumption