New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Are Filipinos ready for this technology? Are you willing to automate your door accessibility, let go of the physical keys and use your mobile phone / internet / bluetooth to distribute access to your family?

Just based on experience I have tried it. I can forget my home keys, but not my mobile phone. I am very reliant on my mobile phone when it comes to organizing my schedules, reminders, etc. So I used it as my access to my home and condo units as well.

Would like to know what other Filipinos think of this growing trend on Smart Home Automation.
    -

Features of these smart locks are

* app access
    * wifi remote access (ofw)
    * bluetooth proximity access
    * voice control
    * time-stamp monitoring of access on your doors
    * share & deny access on guests/family
    * instant notifications on activity
    * auto-lock/unlock
    * no need to hand over your master keys to anyone (no more key duplicates)

Kindly share your insight on this technology. I believe its a future trend on our lifestyle. US already adopted this technology since 2014 (i think). Why is it still very new here in the Philippines.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Bach View Post
    Are Filipinos ready for this technology? Are you willing to automate your door accessibility, let go of the physical keys and use your mobile phone / internet / bluetooth to distribute access to your family?

Just based on experience I have tried it. I can forget my home keys, but not my mobile phone. I am very reliant on my mobile phone when it comes to organizing my schedules, reminders, etc. So I used it as my access to my home and condo units as well.

Would like to know what other Filipinos think of this growing trend on Smart Home Automation.
    -

Features of these smart locks are

* app access
    * wifi remote access (ofw)
    * bluetooth proximity access
    * voice control
    * time-stamp monitoring of access on your doors
    * share & deny access on guests/family
    * instant notifications on activity
    * auto-lock/unlock
    * no need to hand over your master keys to anyone (no more key duplicates)

Kindly share your insight on this technology. I believe its a future trend on our lifestyle. US already adopted this technology since 2014 (i think). Why is it still very new here in the Philippines.

Strictly on residential applications, I can think of a few reasons:
    1. They are not yet widely available locally
    2. They are still very expensive. There's a joke that goes along the lines of the lock being more expensive than what it is protecting. You'll tear up when someone tries to break in and ends up destroying your smart lock
    3. While most residential homes in the US have only the front door standing between the outside and the inside, a typical Filipino home would also have a locked gate at the perimeter of their property. There are a few upscale gated communities that can probably benefit from this technology. It's a niche market, at most

Would I want one? Of course!... Purely because of the novelty. But in practicality, that's a different story. You see, we live in a compound. There's literally two steel gates and two front doors between my home and the outside world. Suffice to say, I am not a prime candidate for using smart locks. Maybe someday.

But I got the distant best next thing... Wyze Sense. See my thread here: Anyone into home automation/smart homes with integration to Alexa, Google Home, Siri, etc.?

3. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Strictly on residential applications, I can think of a few reasons:
    1. They are not yet widely available locally
    2. They are still very expensive. There's a joke that goes along the lines of the lock being more expensive than what it is protecting. You'll tear up when someone tries to break in and ends up destroying your smart lock
    3. While most residential homes in the US have only the front door standing between the outside and the inside, a typical Filipino home would also have a locked gate at the perimeter of their property. There are a few upscale gated communities that can probably benefit from this technology. It's a niche market, at most

Would I want one? Of course!... Purely because of the novelty. But in practicality, that's a different story. You see, we live in a compound. There's literally two steel gates and two front doors between my home and the outside world. Suffice to say, I am not a prime candidate for using smart locks. Maybe someday.

But I got the distant best next thing... Wyze Sense. See my thread here: Anyone into home automation/smart homes with integration to Alexa, Google Home, Siri, etc.?
    Thanks for your input. Nice to know there's a thread for home automation.

Anyway, there are smart locks that don't have an outdoor unit, like August locks. I am against the keypad based doors and outdoor units as well coz these invite bad elements to do something on your home. Just blend in maybe. I took the dive of putting smart locks on my condos rin. As of now, nasusulit ko talaga since there are constant viewing of my units and I don't have to be there to hand over the keys or leave a copy of my master keys to my agent. Maybe these might work on secured properties for now. I have not seen a lock for a gate til now. We really are a different market from US perhaps.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    I am already worried about the amount of information in my smart phone. I dont want to add more to that.

Isa pa, Pinoy homes usually have more than one lock hence the term "double lock"as my wife puts it.

My front neighbor, a female lawyer, has four locks on her front door (may kwento nun nakalimutan niya yung isa pag uwi niya hahaha)

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I jerry-rigged a Wyze Sense door sensor to check the status of the door lock. A smart lock like the August would've been ideal, but they are expensive. All I needed was a way to check remotely whether the deadbolt is latched or not. I used 3mm x 1mm magnets lodged inside the deadbolt center notch. The sensor is then placed on the other side of the door jamb and will detect the magnets' presence when the deadbolt is latched.

Two 3mm x 1mm magnets in the center notch of the deadbolt:

Just to give a scale of how tiny these magnets are:

The sensor is then placed on the other side of the door jamb. It will then detect the presence of the magnet when the deadbolt is latch (locked position):

And voila!

6. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I jerry-rigged a Wyze Sense door sensor to check the status of the door lock. A smart lock like the August would've been ideal, but they are expensive. All I needed was a way to check remotely whether the deadbolt is latched or not. I used 3mm x 1mm magnets lodged inside the deadbolt center notch. The sensor is then placed on the other side of the door jamb and will detect the magnets' presence when the deadbolt is latched.

Two 3mm x 1mm magnets in the center notch of the deadbolt:

Just to give a scale of how tiny these magnets are:

The sensor is then placed on the other side of the door jamb. It will then detect the presence of the magnet when the deadbolt is latch (locked position):

And voila!
    Nice

Smart Lock Automation (House, Condo, Apartment, Hotel, Business)