New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I have an asus rt n18u router, can I connect a smart bro lte pocket wifi to it? meaning, at present my internet connection is thru PLDT dsl....questions:

1. Can I have a dual source of my internet access, one thru pldt mydsl and the other thru pocket wifi LTE both connected to my router then to my PCs?

2. Can I have my dsl disconnected altogether and use only the pocket wifi LTE connected to my router then to my PCs?

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    1. You will be needing a dual WAN load balancing router(just google it). Enterprise routers are capable but there are cheaper SOHO routers/CPEs on the market.

2. Yes. Common denominator is the interface which is Ethernet. Doing so will add 2hops in your network because router alone consists of 2networks (WAN/LAN). Pocket wifis are routers by nature.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    The Asus N18U is dual wan capable however it supports only those 3g/4g usb wifi dongles. So you can't use your pocket wifi with it. You'll have to replace it with a usb dongle.

Here is a list of usb dongles that it officially supports:
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

However, dongles not on the list could work but it would be hit or miss. You'll have to try it yourself.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    A wifi router can communicate directly to another wifi router if both routers support mac address filtering and can be configured as a bridge

5. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by attyallanlatras View Post
    I have an asus rt n18u router, can I connect a smart bro lte pocket wifi to it? meaning, at present my internet connection is thru PLDT dsl....questions:

1. Can I have a dual source of my internet access, one thru pldt mydsl and the other thru pocket wifi LTE both connected to my router then to my PCs?

2. Can I have my dsl disconnected altogether and use only the pocket wifi LTE connected to my router then to my PCs?
    are you referring to desktops that u want to connect pocket ? if yes , and connection between pocket wifi n router is not possible, why noy just buy usb wifi dongles for your desktop? i think it cost around 300 each.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

are you referring to desktops that u want to connect pocket ? if yes , and connection between pocket wifi n router is not possible, why noy just buy usb wifi dongles for your desktop? i think it cost around 300 each.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2009

1. Yes you can have 2 internet sources (eg LTE, wired) but you have manually switch or connect or disconnect to the ASUS router because ASUS is programmed to only automatically manage WAN connection from WAN port & USB port. Its not practical to do it this way because you dont utilize the 2 WAN source simultaneously. ASUS gives you an option to set the USB modem dongle to connect on demand like when your wired broadband is down

Then you have to enable the bridge function of ASUS in order to connect to the wifi of LTE pocket wifi

2. Yes you can stop subscribing to wired broadband and just bridge your ASUS to the LTE pocket wifi

The downside is when your LTE is down you dont have an alternative internet connection unless you are a smartphone user. In which case you can turn on ur mobile data & hotspot and plug the USB cable of the smart phone to the USB port of ASUS to prevent the smart phones battery from draining.

Then bridge the ASUS to the smart phones hotspot
    Last edited by kisshmet; July 18th, 2015 at 04:04 AM.