New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I was at SM Annex Cyberzone yesterday and was already about to flip out my credit card and purchase new HTPC hardware. But then, I suddenly had cold feet and decided to hold on to my money until such time I'm sure of my purchase.

Since WinXP MCE came out several years ago, I've always wanted to get into the technology bandwagon and build one myself. But due to other priorities and cost, my plan never reached fruition. I only got as far as to get two standalone hard disk multimedia players which are basically glorified external USB drives as they're not network-attached. Though, two years back when I bought these, they did had that wow factor when they were still not as popular as they are now (ie. WD TV). Needless to say, it's come to the point that I've outgrown these players and I would like something more than just play music and movies.

For now, I have two choices; Build myself an HTPC running Windows 7 (Ultimate or Home Premium MCE), LinuxMCE, XBMC, etc., or get one of those set-top Networked Media Tanks (NMT). Based on the current pricing, I can build an HTPC for about 15-16k, give or take. NMT's that has the features I want (Web Services) costs approx. 13-19k. Web Services allows NMT's to stream YouTube, Google Videos, Internet TV and music, among other things, to my TV/monitor and receiver.

The one fabulous thing about NMT's is that they work right out of the box. Just power it up and connect it to your TV/monitor and sound system and you're done. They're purpose-built and streamlined to do only one thing. However, I'm at the mercy of the manufacturer to come out with new firmware updates, cooked or otherwise, to support new features.

With an HTPC, it's the entire opposite. Setting it up would probably take me a day or two to make everything work together (OS install, updates, applications, tuner setup, MCE remote setup, drivers, codecs, etc.). But I guess in the long run, the inherent modularity of an HTPC means I can upgrade any part of the hardware to keep it up to date. Additionally, HTPC's may include home automation features like being able to integrate IP cameras, or control appliances, etc. (using LinuxMCE, for instance), I'm more inclined to go this route. Electricity? Well, I'm sure the nuclear reactor I have in the attic will still be able to take the grunt. :D

These are so far the only things I can think of right now. Just spilling my brains here... please chime in if you can add something that can help me decide.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you're not going to move around the HTPC/NMT, meaning take it with you when you go on holidays, they go with the HTPC setup.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you are willing to put in the effort for the build, I would rather go HTPC option. It is more flexible in what you want it to do as well as open to any software and hardware upgrades you would like in the future.

HTPCs would give you the option to view your videos and go on the internet to browse sites as well as other stuff like TV (USB tv tuners are getting cheap).

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Ok, so I took the plunge today and burned some dough for my HTPC project. It's still incomplete but here's a peek at things to come...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    So what did you buy so far and how much did it cost you?

I just bought a e-machine for P15K. Not bad for a dualcore CPU, HDD, DVD-R and Nvideo 7050 equipped PC as the core of my current HTPC. I just added a wifi N adapter and USB tv tuner to complete it.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    So what did you buy so far and how much did it cost you?

I just bought a e-machine for P15K. Not bad for a dualcore CPU, HDD, DVD-R and Nvideo 7050 equipped PC as the core of my current HTPC. I just added a wifi N adapter and USB tv tuner to complete it.
    Here's what I've got so far:

Motherboard: Emaxx AMD780G-Pro
    CPU: AMD Athlon X2 7750 (Dual-core * 2.7GHz)
    Video: ATI Radeon HD3200 GPU (On-board); 1 x empty PCIx-16 slot with ATI Hybrid support
    RAM: 2GB DDR2 800 Geil Dual-Channel (2 x 1GB sticks)
    Optical Drive: Liteon IHAS424 24X DVD-RW SATA with LS
    Case: Astone Enforcer Flex (SFF mATX)

Total cost as of the moment: P10.8k.

Pending items (in order of priority):
    1TB Seagate HDD
    MCE-certified PCI Tuner w/ remote
    UPS
    WiFi 802.11n USB or PCI - Haven't decided which yet. But for the moment, since this is a fairly permanent install, the on-board NIC should be more than enough for connectivity

As you can probably tell, this is far from a high-end system. But what's good about it is the AMD 780G chipset. Reading the specs, this guy is tailor made for media center applications. Originally, I was going to pair it with an AMD Athlon 4850e CPU, but it's not available anywhere I've been to. The 4850e boasts good performance but power consumption is a measly 45W, which is perfect for an HTPC... as opposed to 95W by the 7750.

The on-board GPU is also perfect for my application (playing local and online media). As of yet, I don't have any plans to play games on this system (I do have Q9550 quad-core desktop for gaming and video editing) so the HD3200 GPU is probably more than twice overkill for MCE. Among other things, it can also decode Blu-Ray for when I have enough moollah to start collecting Blu-Ray materials. That should make it somewhat future-proof for the next 3-4 years.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I'm actually in the same dilemma.

NMTs are quite expensive actually. Around 20k+ for decent ones like TVIX 4100SH.

I just need a player for my HD files and FLAC files (growing beyond 1TB already) . I've long been waiting for a Mac Mini with an HDMI but it probably will never come. Apple instead is pushing for Displayport. I like Apple's intuitiveness and common-sense outlined structure.

I probably will go the same route as you did, an HTPC (XP and/or OSX86). It's more flexible.

HTPC is not for the faint of heart, but is the better way to go. Sakit sa ulo ang initial setup. Kahit simpleng optical/TOSLINK out isang linggo ako pinahirapan (AC3Filter lang pala solusyon).

I've been through the NMT route. I first had the Mediagate MG-350HD (I still have it, but collecting dust), then upgraded to the eGreat EG-M31B. Pero there's far too many HD content which hiccups with the NMT. I ended up swapping the eGreat with 2TB of HDD full of HD content, and assembled my own HTPC. No hiccups in any of my HD content. I have XBMC, WinMC, WMPClassic, and KMP as my media players. KMP gets my vote. Make sure you install the proper codecs (CoreAVC is the most important for me).

Hop on over at PinoyDVD. There are tons of thread discussions about HTPCs and NMTs there.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Nice to know I'm not alone in this. My project is currently on hold because the case (with the PSU) hasn't arrived. I've paid for it 3 days ago but the one they had on stock had a ding on the chassis as well as a cracked bezel. If they can't deliver it today, I'm going out to look for another one at PCX.

Tomorrow, I'm going to V. Mall to look for an MCE tuner + remote combo or just the remote, whichever is available. These items, apparently, are not that common yet. The CDR-King tuners and the commonly-available Leadtek Winfast TV2000 offerings are no good for MCE because they don't have a dedicated hardware MPEG decoder. Worst case, I'm ordering these abroad.

In the meantime, I can buy one of the CDR-King wireless mini keyboard with a built-in trackball (http://www.cdrking.com/local/product...268452-2836971). My bro uses one in his room and it seems to perform decently.

Well, these are the sort of things you'll avoid when you just go out and buy an NMT. But then I realized, where's the fun in that? :D

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    In the meantime, I can buy one of the CDR-King wireless mini keyboard with a built-in trackball (http://www.cdrking.com/local/product...268452-2836971). My bro uses one in his room and it seems to perform decently.
    I was thinking of buying the CDR-KING wireless kb with trackball as a backup keyboard for my current wireless keyboard with joystick mouse.

The one I am currently using (for years) is this one:

http://www.btc.com.tw/english/news_15.htm

It's great to use with it's ergo shape, full sized keyboard, media keys and a set of programmable buttons.

Unfortunately it's long been discontinued because it's obsolete (and I can't find anything similar to it locally anymore).

The bright side, BTC have two newer designs (but not available in the Philippines):

http://www.btc.com.tw/english/2-7-30...htm#9039URFIII

http://www.btc.com.tw/english/2-7-21...htm#9039URFIII

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Should I go HTPC or NMT?