New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I just replaced my wireless G routers to the new wireless N routers (TP-Link). And now I can't access some websites like yahoo mail, citibank site, and a lot of other websites.

I can't also connect to the appstore using my iphone, ipad and ipod touch. At first I thought there was something wrong with my apple account, but when I tried it in a public wifi hotspot, I was able to connect and download/update apps from the appstore.

Here's the setup of my network:

Office computers === [network cable] === wifi N router 1 --- [wireless bridge] ---

--- wifi N router 2 === [network cable] === wifi G router 3 === Home computers

My ISP is Globe which is using PPPOE. I tried to use all the DNS of Globe, OpenDNS and Google's DNS, and they all result in selective browsing. Speed test came out fine, just like before.

Can the new routers cause the selective browsing problem?

And btw, my iDevices can't connect to the wifi N router 2, it always displays an error message "unable to join network", even if I disabled the wireless security.
    Signature

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    On your first problem (selective websites), look up topics about tweaking the router's MTU setting. For the wireless issue, try forcing the Wifi N router to transmit in "G" mode and not "N".

If the router is still using draft "N", it may not be compatible with a lot of wireless clients.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    I just replaced my wireless G routers to the new wireless N routers (TP-Link). And now I can't access some websites like yahoo mail, citibank site, and a lot of other websites.

I can't also connect to the appstore using my iphone, ipad and ipod touch. At first I thought there was something wrong with my apple account, but when I tried it in a public wifi hotspot, I was able to connect and download/update apps from the appstore.

Here's the setup of my network:

Office computers === [network cable] === wifi N router 1 --- [wireless bridge] ---

--- wifi N router 2 === [network cable] === wifi G router 3 === Home computers

My ISP is Globe which is using PPPOE. I tried to use all the DNS of Globe, OpenDNS and Google's DNS, and they all result in selective browsing. Speed test came out fine, just like before.

Can the new routers cause the selective browsing problem?

And btw, my iDevices can't connect to the wifi N router 2, it always displays an error message "unable to join network", even if I disabled the wireless security.
    Did you configure the new routers the same way as previous setup? Setting one (with the internet) as the gateway and the other routers pointing to router1 as their gateway.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    On your first problem (selective websites), look up topics about tweaking the router's MTU setting. For the wireless issue, try forcing the Wifi N router to transmit in "G" mode and not "N".

If the router is still using draft "N", it may not be compatible with a lot of wireless clients.
    I've tried different MTU sizes, same result. My previous wireless G TP-link router was set at 1500, but this new router can be set to 1492 max only.

I've also set it to G mode and I still can't get my iDevices to connect. But my laptop connects without a problem.
    Signature

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Did you configure the new routers the same way as previous setup? Setting one (with the internet) as the gateway and the other routers pointing to router1 as their gateway.
    Yes, both routers 2 & 3 points to router 1 as the gateway.
    Signature

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I replaced the new routers with my old routers and everything is back to normal.

What's with these new N routers that's causing the selective browsing and the inability of my iDevices to connect?
    Signature

Selective browsing and problem with iDevices after replacing my routers