New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Samsung Galaxy S3, S4 Batteries Swell; Company Offers Free Replacement

By Kristin Dian Mariano | October 18, 2013 4:50 PM EST

Samsung Galaxy S3 and S4 users are facing an imminent danger as reports said that the batteries of the devices swell.

According to reports, users complain on batteries swelling that largely concern the users' safety. Many consumers are concerned that the battery may explode and may cause injuries or health risks to users.

A report also said that it is a matter of warranty. It seemed that the batteries swell after a year of usage. Most of these customers are experienced the swollen batteries after one year after purchase which is six months after the warranty expired and many users were angered by this. Apparently, the battery warranty is just six months.

Samsung offers free replacement on the battery of the aforementioned devices. Users can simply drop by the nearest Samsung service point and get a free replacement battery. The South Korean company was compelled to act on the issue as the return rates of the devices increased by 30% with most users complaining on the battery.

A report also said that it is a matter of warranty. It seemed that the batteries swell after a year of usage. Most of these customers are experienced the swollen batteries after one year after purchase which is six months after the warranty expired and many users were angered by this. Apparently, the battery warranty is just six months.

Samsung told TrustedReviews, "We are aware of this issue, which has affected a limited number of customers."

"We ask all affected customers to please visit their nearest Samsung Electronics service centre, where they can receive a replacement battery for free of charge. We remain committed to providing the best possible user experience for our customers," the company's spokesman also added.

It is still unconfirmed that if this is just a case of bad batch of batteries produced last Oct. But it is quite interesting that Samsung Galaxy S3 and S4 batteries experience similar problems.

There were incidents before of battery exploding. Early this year, CNET cited Associated Press that a man was walking with his Samsung mobile phone in his pocket when the battery caught on fire. The man received second-degree burns and a one-inch wound on his thigh. Officials said that the battery was not inside the phone when it exploded.

Samsung batteries were made out of Lithium ion, which is notorious for overheating and may explode when expose to heat. This posed a major health problem to users.

Samsung Galaxy S3, S4 Batteries Swell; Company Offers Free Replacement - International Business Times

2. Join Date
    Nov 2013
    I own 1 year and 2 month old Galaxy S3 Mini. A few days ago the battery started to swell! Prior to this, around a month na, I noticed that sobrang mabilis na ma drain yung batt.

Anybody knows if Samsung offers free batt replacement here, similar to what they offered to other countries?

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Buti pa sila free. Our Note 1's batteries last less than a year each. I replaced the first orig batt with another orig one from the same batch (checked the manufacturing date). Sure enough the second batt didn't last 12 months. I'm now using a replacement batt I got for 1/4 the price from a stall in Greenhills. If it dies within the year at least mura lang bili ko. So far so good.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2013
    nagtingin na nga ko ng replacement batt sa greenhills, 1300 orig 400 class A - wala pang tawad.

i'm leaning towards buying the orig but will try to visit a service center this week to find out kung kasali tayo dun sa free.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuki13 View Post
    nagtingin na nga ko ng replacement batt sa greenhills, 1300 orig 400 class A - wala pang tawad.

i'm leaning towards buying the orig but will try to visit a service center this week to find out kung kasali tayo dun sa free.
    dont buy the class A. bumili ako as a spare battery, pero in the end nasira yung phone. the good thing is it is within warranty. kaya in the end last September 2013, pinalitan ang lahat ng loob ng s3 ko with free battery, headset at new charger. hehehe.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2013
    ^

kaya ayoko nang class A. buti within warranty nangyari sa phone mo sir.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    1.6k kuha ko sa samsung store nung Note 3 battery with External charging cradle. I think ganung price range din yung S4.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuki13 View Post
    ^

kaya ayoko nang class A. buti within warranty nangyari sa phone mo sir.
    yes po, mga 2 or 3 days na lang paso na warranty.

okay naman magclaim ng warranty sa samsung, galante sila pagnagpawarranty ka.
    Last edited by brainmafia_310; April 7th, 2014 at 04:02 PM.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Note 8 (wifi only) ko mabilis din ma drain, 20min of playing D-Day need to charge na.

Kasama kaya ito sa pwede i-claim ng warranty?

Galing kasi ng SMART ung note 8, naka bundle sha kasama ng pocket wifi.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    -double post-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast