New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2006
    i have a pc with a 40GB HDD capacity without partition. question: posible bang mag add ng partition drive WITHOUT HAVING TO REFORMAT THE pc? What advantages does a partitioned HDD have over the non-partitioned ones?

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    partition magic software. Haven't used it pero i think it could help.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by redlake_56 View Post
    i have a pc with a 40GB HDD capacity without partition. question: posible bang mag add ng partition drive WITHOUT HAVING TO REFORMAT THE pc? What advantages does a partitioned HDD have over the non-partitioned ones?
    The only advantage I can think of is that you may want to store drivers in a partition different from that of the operating system. That way, if the OS goes kaput and you have to reformat the OS partition, your drivers will be fine. Just be careful you don't delete the storage partition as well.

Personally, I rather keep drivers in a removable media like a cd, flash drive, or an external hard drive.

Also, if you have the earliest version of XP, like my XP Pro Upgrade cd which dates back to Nov 5 2001, I don't think the install can recognize anything over 40GB yet. You'd have to partition the hard drive or use the included hard drive partitioning utility.

With a 40gb hard drive, I rather not partition it.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    +1 for sir jun..

40 GB now is too small para sa mga naglalakihang digital files.. i suggest na bumili ka na lang ng isa pang HDD with bigger capactiy to serve as your back-up files (secondary), madale man ang primary mo, safe pa rin ang mga back-up files mo... or BURN it.....

5. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    you can also use Norton Ghost to clone and resize your active partition -- but you'll need a spare drive for this.

Me nakita din akong Ghost for Linux, a freeware disk cloner. You can download and burn the bootable ISO image onto CDR(it uses linux as base OS, after which you run the 'g4l' program)...pero you'll need a spare drive pa rin

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    personally, if i have only one 40Gb hard drive, i'd still partition it in two. i always like to keep the OS files seperate from my personal data files.

this way, if reformatting is the only option, i dont need to backup my data to reinstall the OS. this happens very rarely, though. last time i went around 2 years or so without reformatting any hard drive at all.

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by redlake_56 View Post
    To answer your question, if you already have a working system with OS installed, Partition Magic can make another partition from your 40 GB HDD without having to reformat it.

The benefits is, you can separate your personal files from the OS files by placing them in different partitions. For example, you can place all your office files (*.doc. *.ppt, *xls. *db, etc...), mp3, pictures, etc.. into the new partition so when your OS needs reformatting you can just format that partition without affecting the other files in your other partition.

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    ic. btw does this norton partition magic a freeware? and has anyone tried using it?

Quote Originally Posted by redlake_56
    ic. btw does this norton partition magic a freeware? and has anyone tried using it?
    Nope it isn't a freeware. I tried using it before, it works great with your requirements, you also have the option to install multiple Operating systems but I wouldn't recommend it. I crashed one of my HD using this software maybe because I tried to partition it one to many times

Reformatting questions