New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbo View Post
    I think the most powerful battleship of the Japanese Navy in those times is the Battleship Yamato commanded by no less than Admiral Yamamoto himself...the flagship of the Japanese fleet at the Battle of Leyte Gulf.
    Actually I think the Yamato is not the most powerful, it was simply the biggest battleship the japanese navy had built. Ironically, the Yamato never really saw any major action until the closing part of the Japanese involvement in the Pacific theater of WWII.

I think the title as most powerful should go to the Bismarck with it's advanced target system, higher top speed and massive cruising range.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_battleship_Bismarck
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_battleship_Yamato
    Last edited by ghosthunter; October 23rd, 2008 at 06:22 PM.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    its battleship Yamamoto not Yamato. Yamamoto and Musashi were both Yamato class battleships. they were the biggest battleships ever built since they displaced 65,000 tons and had 18" guns.

next in line were the Iowa class battleships in the US Navy. They displaced 45,000 tons, had 16" guns, and had a top speed of knots, making them the fastest battleships in WW2.

the Bismarck displaced only 41,700 tons and could only do 30 knots.

edit: the Iowa class battleships could be the most powerful, even if they had smaller guns than the Yamamoto class, because they had more advanced gunnery, better radar, and better fire control. after being recomissioned, ginamit pa Iowa class battleships (the Missouri and the Wisconsin) sa first Gulf war in 1991.
    Last edited by roninblade; October 23rd, 2008 at 06:59 PM.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Like Gerbo, why the Musashi? Its wreckage lies 1,350m deep in Philippine waters, a country ravaged by Japan. The Yamato, off Okinawa, lies at 300m.

How do you honor friendship between the two countries with a big-ass warship that was their intrument for aggression? For me the symbol isn't much different had they chosen the bayonet of an Arisaka rifle to honor friendship ... the type that skewered countless Pinoys and allies.

Yes, it's a relic and has historical significance. But as an honor to friendship? They have got to be kidding me. What if the Smithsonian put the Enola Gay on display titled "Celebrating US-Japan Friendship"?

Let it rot and serve as an undisturbed graveyard.

BTW, are there any reports that says the Musashi has been surveyed - let alone, actually been found?

---

Zeus, I was only kidding.

A hull that big and heavy would probably be not in one piece. And since she listed port side while sinking, I'm betting the main turrets came off on the way down.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by number001 View Post
    What's the point of wasting resources trying to raise a wrecked ship?
    Maybe they(the salvager) want to gain fame, or let the world know that they have the technology to raise Musashi even at the depth of 4000 plus feet, or they are the Musashi fanatic and really wanted to preserve a giant piece of history

5. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    roninblade, I think you got confused with the names of the admiral and his flagship.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    I think the title as most powerful should go to the Bismarck with it's advanced target system, higher top speed and massive cruising range.
    Sir GH, the Bismarck is part of the German Navy....

they were the biggest battleships ever built since they displaced 65,000 tons and had 18" guns.
    Yes. in violation of a treaty not to build ships of that magnitude...correction pala, the Japanese did not signed that treaty and proceed to build the biggest we have seen.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightSix View Post
    roninblade, I think you got confused with the names of the admiral and his flagship.
    o nga noh. wahahaha.

Yamato class nga pala yung Yamato battleship. in any case, sister ship sila ng Musashi.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by roninblade View Post
    the Bismarck displaced only 41,700 tons and could only do 30 knots.
    Based on info gathered...

Bismarck = 30 knots
    Yamato = 27 knots

Yamato displaces more due to thicker armor, especially around her main turret guns.

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by number001 View Post
    What's the point of wasting resources trying to raise a wrecked ship?
    My thoughts exactly. I think before they do this, they should take the four way test:

1. Is it the TRUTH?
    2. Is it FAIR to all concerned?
    3. Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
    4. Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?

the Yamato aka Star Blazers

10. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    dapat kung gusto nila na i ahon at i restore yung musashi battleship nila e dapat kung anu man masira na underwater resources and etc dapat din nila irestore or much better i avoid masira yung underwater eco system. at dapat will contribute more restoration and improvement of the underwater ecosystem on the said site were the japanes warship sunk.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Raising the Japanese battleship Musashi?