New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Imagine, kung ang Princess of the Stars na nakalabas pa ang nguso na halos nasa sea surface lang, hirap mai-refloat, much much more ang Muchasha este Musashi, right? (BTW, both ships sunk in Romblon) This will be a huge endeavour and will not be done overnight. There should be a Philippines oversight committee to ensure safety and mitigate environmental impact. Baka puede isabay na rin sa pag recon ng mga Hapon sa sunken ship ang oil exploration sa vicinity which I think is not far fetched.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightSix View Post
    Of course, not.
    Kaya nga lumubog ... sinira ng mga kano.
    Ibig kong sabihin kung buo pa sya sa ilalim, hindi kaya pira piraso na ito sa ilalim?

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by valvura View Post
    I-refloat, if the Japanese really have the technology and money, of course. It'll be a spectacular event and since it's in Philippines territory, it's ours to keep for the advantage of our tourism industry.
    dude, wrecked warships are still property of government who owns them unless they clearly have no intention of claiming or recovering the vessel.

i say raise the Musashi and not consider Loren Legarda's point unless it is backed by scientific proof that raising the warship will have long lasting harm to the environment.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by roninblade View Post
    dude, wrecked warships are still property of government who owns them unless they clearly have no intention of claiming or recovering the vessel.

i say raise the Musashi and not consider Loren Legarda's point unless it is backed by scientific proof that raising the warship will have long lasting harm to the environment.
    OK, though IMO the existing laws on ownership of shipwrecks are still controversial but our country is inferior compared to Japan. I just made my analogy with vintage bombs and treasures, when discovered becomes government property (otherwise secretly siphoned to some Swiss accounts ).

So with the Law of Salvaging, Law of Finds, International Law on Sovereign Immunity (of warships), etc.; what will be our country's gain considering the possible harm to environment? Aside from giving us a glimpse of this WWII relic?

5. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i think that whatever damage the raising is gonna cause the sea can recover in a few years. the battleship may be huge but it's just a tiny dot compare to the sea. IMO pinapalaki lang ni loren legarda ang environmental issue para malagay lang sya sa news.

... and ganun na ba tayo ngayon kelangan meron talaga personal gain sa lahat ng gagawin? can we not do this as an act of friendship?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by coiter View Post
    oo nga. imagine if one 18 inch, 3,000 lb round fell during its raising....

14"-16" of armor, more than 70,000 tons dsiplacement...amazing.

wala na atang mga battleships ngayon no?
    Meron but mostly with the US Navy. They still are keeping a few of the WWII heavy boats in active duty with some hardware updates.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    This is more or less just another story used by the senator to gain media mileage. A ship sitting at the bottom for more than fifty is a nothing more than a pile of rust. It is dishonorable to disturb the final resting place of the war dead...

8. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Why Musashi? What can be derived from raising the ship? Just confirm how many hits ( a widely debated topic among war historians) she took before sinking?

Personally, just leave it there.

I think the most powerful battleship of the Japanese Navy in those times is the Battleship Yamato commanded by no less than Admiral Yamamoto himself...the flagship of the Japanese fleet at the Battle of Leyte Gulf.

The Japanese would be better served to find it as it sank near Okinawa.

BTW, the sinking of Musashi and Yamato proved the dominance of air power (and hence, the aircraft carrier) and the demise of the mighty battleship as an instrument of war.

Question. Why wouldn't the Japanese not raise the Yamato when in fact,its close to their shores and the lead ship of the genre?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbo View Post
    Question. Why wouldn't the Japanese not raise the Yamato when in fact,its close to their shores and the lead ship of the genre?
    The Musashi might be "shallower" waters making it easier to salvage/refloat.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; October 23rd, 2008 at 06:09 PM.

10. Join Date
    May 2005
    What's the point of wasting resources trying to raise a wrecked ship?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Raising the Japanese battleship Musashi?