New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I have RAID 1 in my server. A month ago, windows became unstable and takes a very long time booting up. Then I found out that the RAID status has become DEGRADED. One of the HD was busted as it became very noisy. I brought back the HD to the shop for warranty claims.

After removing the faulty HD, my server boots up ok.

I got back the HD today, installed it into the server, then pressed CTRL-I during boot up to get into the RAID menu. It said REBUILDING will take place in the operating system.
    So I exited the RAID menu and continued to boot into windows. I noticed a slight delay in booting into windows. But no problems encountered.

Now, how would I know if the RAID was rebuilt? Is there a software for windows to monitor RAID?

Btw, I tried to reboot and run the RAID menu again and the message that it will rebuild in the OS is still there. So does this mean that it wasn't rebuilt yet?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Depends on your RAID 1 config.

In my case, my RAID 1 is at my hardware's level. Rebuilding (or copying) takes place before anything else is loaded. Once rebuilding is done, the system proceeds to boot up the server's OS. The OS itself does nothing to maintain the RAID1.

I would guess your RAID1 is at the software level. You should be able to check the status via the disk manager.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Try mo to boybi.

1. Click Start (menu), All Programs, Administrative Tools, Computer Management.
    2. Open 'Storage' and click Disk Management.
    3. Right-click the unallocated space on one of the dynamic disks where the RAID-0, RAID-1, or RAID-5 volume should be created, and then click 'Create Volume.'
    4. In the Create Volume wizard, click 'Next,' and then click on the desired volume type: 'Striped volume,' 'Mirrored volume,' or 'RAID-5 volume.'

Di ko na natry software level RAID config.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I use my MB's hardware RAID.

I only see 1 HD in Disk Management.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    I use my MB's hardware RAID.

I only see 1 HD in Disk Management.
    That means you have to restart your server and access the RAID control of the MB. If the RAID rebuilt did not start or finish, you might have to do it manually.

BTW make sure if it's HDD0 or HDD1 is the good drive before you start rebuilding.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    In the RAID control of the MB, it mentioned that rebuilding will take place in the operating system. I don't know how it will do it, and if it has been rebuilt already.

So is there a way to check if it has been rebuilt?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    One hdd in windows, but you see 2 in the bios?
    try to check the manufacturer's website of your MB. i hope you find instructions from the manufacturer to set raid up before OS bootup. it's less complicated and safer than firmware/software from your raid hardware chipset maker.

if raid 1 is rebuilt, you can roughly estimate by testing if disk reads are faster vs 1 hdd.

RAID 1 rebuilding