New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Questions on the wifi antenna of Asus RT N18U:

1. What is the dBi of this router?
    2. If I change the stock wifi antenna to the CDR-KING 9dBi would I have significant gains?

2. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Detach the antenna of the ASUS router and place your smartphone (set with hotspot on) where it could pick up a wifi signal from the hotspot

ASUS should be set to bridge mode or WDS (wireless distribution system) then survey for wifi signal. The sweep should pick up the wifi signal generated from the hotspot. It will display dB rating of the hotspot signal so take note of the signal strength

Attach the antenna then sweep and note the boosted wifi signal of the hotspot again.

Simply deduct the initial dB value from the boosted hotspot signal and the resulting value is the dB gain of the ASUS routers antenna

Take note that the smartphone set to hotspot should sit in one place while taking dB measurement with and without antenna

If the CDR kings antenna dB rating is higher than the difference derived from your dB measurement with and without an antenna for the ASUS router then it will result in bolstering your wifi signal

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tsikot Forums mobile app
    Last edited by kisshmet; March 8th, 2017 at 11:44 AM.