New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    My brother gave me his spare 2gig ram, the brand is transcend and it is ddr2 675 or something mhz, while my existing installed 2gig RAM is a Kingston brand and it is ddr2 800mhz...

Can I install the spare ddr2 2gig ram of my brother?

Will I not experience Blue Screen of Death?

Or worse, my pc would explode, is my fear valid....

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by attyallanlatras View Post
    My brother gave me his spare 2gig ram, the brand is transcend and it is ddr2 675 or something mhz, while my existing installed 2gig RAM is a Kingston brand and it is ddr2 800mhz...

Can I install the spare ddr2 2gig ram of my brother?

Will I not experience Blue Screen of Death?

Or worse, my pc would explode, is my fear valid....
    You have to check with the specifications of your motherboard on the minimum RAM speed supported.

Or just initially swap in the DDR2/667mhz memory in place of your original DDR2/800mhz. If you can operate the PC without lockup, hangs or BSOD, try plugging in the original DDR2/800mhz if you can get the system to run smoothly.

Note: the DDR2/800mhz will be operating at 667mhz. It won't affect the overall computer speed (from your perception) that much though.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    balewala naman 4gig kung naka-windows xp ka lang. di naman nagagamit yun

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Miting View Post
    balewala naman 4gig kung naka-windows xp ka lang. di naman nagagamit yun
    true... but he can still access 3 or 3.5gb of ram. That would still be better than 2gb if the "free" DDR2 can prove to be stable.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    ...And if the memory does prove to be stable, he'll now have to option to upgrade to a 64bit OS where he can use all 4gb.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ess View Post
    ...And if the memory does prove to be stable, he'll now have to option to upgrade to a 64bit OS where he can use all 4gb.
    unfortunately... older 32bit softwares might have problems in a full 64bit environment

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    My problem is worse that your discussions....

I tried to place the 2gig ram and my PC did not boot....

I removed the 2 gig ram and still my PC did not boot....

Now how will I solve this....

My PC only shows it that it has power when I turn it on but will not boot...

Before I will send my PC to a technician what should I do to at least have it boot...

Please help......

8. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Double check if your original RAM sticks were not dislodged while you were removing the 2GB ram. Check mo rin if you may have accidentally dislodged some cables (SATA, IDE, CPU Fan) as well.

Hmm.. what else... the beep codes. When your PC fails to boot, does it let out a strange beep pattern? Usually, when all is okay when you power on, you'll just get a short BEEP then you'll see the BIOS screen, then OS boot. If something is wrong, instead of getting that short beep, you'll probably get some other beep patterns (e.g. beeeeeep....beeeeeeeep....beeeeeep....).

9. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by attyallanlatras View Post
    My problem is worse that your discussions....

I tried to place the 2gig ram and my PC did not boot....

I removed the 2 gig ram and still my PC did not boot....

Now how will I solve this....

My PC only shows it that it has power when I turn it on but will not boot...

Before I will send my PC to a technician what should I do to at least have it boot...

Please help......
    Reinsert the memory module again. ( Assuming that this one is compatible to your motherboard. Remember that not all brand of memory modules are compatible to a specific motherboard brand and model. Check website for mobo manufacturers tested/compatible memory modules).

With power shut-off (power chord removed) locate & clear cmos by "JBAT" jumper, simply transfer jumper to the next two pins, stay there for about 10 seconds then return/reinsert jumper to original configuration/pins (e.g. original pins 1-2 normal position; pins 2-3 clear position). You may remove cmos battery for about 10 seconds then reinsert instead of doing the clear jumper method as alternative.

I feel that your problem is memory related only. Clean/rub with pencil eraser the pins of your memory module before reinserting to slot/s.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Problem now solved and it was found out na di talaga compatible and different brands na RAM...so I stick to my 2gig RAM kingston since it has 800mhz....

I likewise installed a video card inno3d 240gt 512 ddr5 128bit for P4,150....I hope its a good buy...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Questions on RAM