New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I need a gigabit router which has a download ******* capability even if not connected to a PC. So I have recently been going around the mall and found an Asus Router RT-N18U, a gigabit router, with a download master [built-in *******] capacity...although hindi sya AC at hindi rin dual ban, it is a wireless N600....The box as well as the net says that it has a Cortex A9-800HMz processor and 128MB Flash and 256MB RAM, which features are present in all ASUS AC models.....Since I am not quite familiar with routers, I'm just curious if indeed it would be a good buy at the price of P 4,300.00...

By the way, would flashing a tomato firmware void the warranty? And also, do I really need to flash a tomato firmware? TIA

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    yung asterisks refer to "to-rents," I hope pwede.... so that the gurus reading hear would be able to understand my queries...tia

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    tatanong ko sana kung ano yung ********.... kala ko nagmumura ka eh... hehehehe.
    asus routers are of excellent quality. although i am not specifically referring to that model that you are referring to. most of our office wifi routers and access points are asus and have been here for more than 4 years now... walang patayan.

flashing, if done incorrectly, may damage the routers. kung firmware upgrade lang, which is different from flashing, it would be ok. pero flashing will void the warranty.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

tatanong ko sana kung ano yung ********.... kala ko nagmumura ka eh... hehehehe.
    asus routers are of excellent quality. although i am not specifically referring to that model that you are referring to. most of our office wifi routers and access points are asus and have been here for more than 4 years now... walang patayan.

flashing, if done incorrectly, may damage the routers. kung firmware upgrade lang, which is different from flashing, it would be ok. pero flashing will void the warranty.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by attyallanlatras View Post
    I need a gigabit router which has a download ******* capability even if not connected to a PC. So I have recently been going around the mall and found an Asus Router RT-N18U, a gigabit router, with a download master [built-in *******] capacity...although hindi sya AC at hindi rin dual ban, it is a wireless N600....The box as well as the net says that it has a Cortex A9-800HMz processor and 128MB Flash and 256MB RAM, which features are present in all ASUS AC models.....Since I am not quite familiar with routers, I'm just curious if indeed it would be a good buy at the price of P 4,300.00...

By the way, would flashing a tomato firmware void the warranty? And also, do I really need to flash a tomato firmware? TIA
    Our businesses uses a mix of former-Cisco-now-Buffalo's Linksys and Asus routers as their access points. Truth be told, I am impressed with how ASUS has entered the consumer routing division and quickly won its followers over.

The RT-N18U retails at P4.5k in Gilmore which is why at P4.3k you're getting a good deal out of it.

Coming from personal experience,
    1. I didn't use the download master feature as I usually have my personal computer on when downloading stuff off the net. So it isn't a primary consideration for me.
    2. For the typical user, just use the standard ASUS provided firmware. It isn't super restricting. In fact, I'm currently using the stock firmware -- and this is from a guy who has been throwing DDWRT to WRT54Gs since 2004.
    3. You will not need AC, most devices nowadays are just N-capable. And 802.11N is enough.
    4. As for internals, ASUS scores high marks versus similar brands TBH. I have always found its internal specifications to be good and not lacking at all
    5. Flashing Tomato will void the warranty. You do not need to flash Tomato. In fact, I recommend going for DDWRT over Tomato (as per personal opinion). As for bricking, I haven't really bricked any routers yet anyway.

You might have problems using the ******* capability if you do flash since ASUS Download Master is based on the stock ASUS firmware. Kindly refer to Tomato's FAQs to double-check.

A problem I had was with warranty. You see, if anything happens after the warranty period, you essentially have a useless router as ASUS service centers locally do not service their router offerings. I know, I have a RT66U Dark Knight with 4 dead LAN ports which I did not attribute to a manufacturing defect but due to an electrical surge.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by attyallanlatras View Post

Our businesses uses a mix of former-Cisco-now-Buffalo's Linksys and Asus routers as their access points. Truth be told, I am impressed with how ASUS has entered the consumer routing division and quickly won its followers over.

The RT-N18U retails at P4.5k in Gilmore which is why at P4.3k you're getting a good deal out of it.

Coming from personal experience,
    1. I didn't use the download master feature as I usually have my personal computer on when downloading stuff off the net. So it isn't a primary consideration for me.
    2. For the typical user, just use the standard ASUS provided firmware. It isn't super restricting. In fact, I'm currently using the stock firmware -- and this is from a guy who has been throwing DDWRT to WRT54Gs since 2004.
    3. You will not need AC, most devices nowadays are just N-capable. And 802.11N is enough.
    4. As for internals, ASUS scores high marks versus similar brands TBH. I have always found its internal specifications to be good and not lacking at all
    5. Flashing Tomato will void the warranty. You do not need to flash Tomato. In fact, I recommend going for DDWRT over Tomato (as per personal opinion). As for bricking, I haven't really bricked any routers yet anyway.

You might have problems using the ******* capability if you do flash since ASUS Download Master is based on the stock ASUS firmware. Kindly refer to Tomato's FAQs to double-check.

A problem I had was with warranty. You see, if anything happens after the warranty period, you essentially have a useless router as ASUS service centers locally do not service their router offerings. I know, I have a RT66U Dark Knight with 4 dead LAN ports which I did not attribute to a manufacturing defect but due to an electrical surge.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    The built in asus firmware normally has bugs on it, tolerable, but sometimes frustrating. Flashing with tomato or ddwrt will definately void your warranty but it will unleash the full capability of the router. Although madali lang sya and may way sya para marevert. I have multiple asus router in my house and they are solid as they come. One is 7 yrs old and it is still up and running.