The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Problems surfacing with iPod Nano screen
    Published: September 24, 2005, 12:38 PM PDT
    By Michelle Meyers
    CNET News.com Staff

Some owners of Apple Computer's new "impossibly small" iPod Nano are starting to wonder if the device is also impossibly delicate.

The most widespread complaint about the otherwise highly praised device seems to be that the color display screen gets scratched extremely easily.

Nano owner Brian Cason posted one of 250-some threads in response to a recent post on Apple's discussion board about screen scratching.

"I don't really care if the case on my Nano gets scratched but my screen has scratched up so badly that all the images are starting to become distorted," Cason wrote, echoing the sentiment of many others in the discussion. "I have only carried it in my small pocket in my shorts and nothing is in there to scratch it. I still can't figure how the screen looks like it has been rubbed with sandpaper when the entire time it has been safe in my pocket (with absolutely no items)."

But this week, several users also started complaining about screens cracking, or failing, inexplicably. Nano owner Matthew Peterson set up the site flawedmusicplayer.com (formerly ipodnanoflaw.com) to tell the story about how his Nano screen shattered after just four days, to see if others have had the same problem, and to suggest that Apple recall the Nano and use a stronger screen product.

"It is way too fragile. Apple markets it in a pocket. Hell, Steve Jobs himself pulls it out of his when he announces it," wrote Peterson, who himself was smitten with the Nano upon its release. "It was in my pocket as I was walking and I sat down. No, I didn't sit on it."

An Apple official was not immediately available for comment on the alleged problems with Nano screens.

Some Nano owners have written to flawedmusicplayer.com, challenging its premise and arguing that they haven't had any problems with their screens. They chalk problems up to user abuse and reference an Ars Technica report that shows the Nano holds up to extreme circumstances.

Several, however, e-mailed with similar screen failures and debated whether the problem is caused by a design flaw or poor manufacturing, possibly just in an isolated batch.

iPodnn pointed out that at least one iPod repair company, iPodResQ, has temporarily raised the price of Nano LCD repair "due to LCD availability and overwhelming demand."

Last June, Apple agreed to settle several class action suits over the battery life of earlier iPod models, offering extended service warranties and $50 store credits to consumers who lodged complaints.

==============================

Eto na, nagsisimula na lumabas mga problems ng Nano. Buti na lang di pa ako nakakabili. Tsk,tsk,tsk....

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    well haven't heard any problems fr the local users here. Baka lemon lang yung batch na yun...I even tried twisting my nano to see kung nagflicker ung lcd but hindi naman

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hmm buti nalang cant afford ako :D

4. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    the price of vanity..hehe or not

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    nanu nanu nano ...kung scratch din lang bakit kasi di sila bumili ng screen protector...yung ibang problema eh nasa handling na lang ng may ari siguro...nipis kasi eh...

6. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Ala yan sa pinag-gagawa ng mga kumagz na ito sa Ipod Nano.....

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/nano.ars/3

Now, that's what you call STRESS TEST!

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    have my iPOD nano for a week now so far no problem at all,maybe those guys are a bunch of morons to scratch it o break it 'coz if take care well of it you won't have much of a problem at all....

8. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Well Apple admitted that there was a problem with .1% of the nanos they released and they agreed to replace them. The scratches on the screen is subjective. Kahit cellphone na scratch ung screen, just take care of it para walang problema...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Apple admits problem

Apple admits problem with iPod nano
    Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:59 PM BST

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Apple Computer Inc. <AAPL.O>, responding to complaints the screen on its sleek, recently introduced iPod cracks too easily, said on Wednesday it will replace any defective units.

Also on Wednesday, Merrill Lynch analyst Richard Farmer lowered its rating on Apple shares to "neutral" from "buy," citing possible revenue growth deceleration in coming months as comparisons become tougher.

"When everyone knows everything is going right for a company, sentiment is hard to improve," Farmer wrote in a note to clients.

Cupertino, California-based Apple introduced the nano with great fanfare three weeks ago and Chief Executive Steve Jobs expects it to become the best selling iPod. The nano replaced the iPod mini, which had been the best-selling iPod model.

Shares of Apple closed down $$2.36, or 4.4 percent, at $51.08 on Nasdaq. The stock, after more than tripling in 2004, is up another 66 percent so far this year, based on Tuesday's closing price.

Farmer also noted Apple's transition to using microprocessors from Intel Corp. <INTC.O>, while still two to three quarters away, "could cause customers to pause" purchases.

"It is a real, but minor issue involving vendor quality problems," an Apple spokesman said of the nano screen issue.

He added the problem has occurred in less than one-tenth of 1 percent of the iPod nanos sold so far.

"Any user with a defective screen should contact Apple ... and we will replace it for free," the spokesman said. "It's not a design issue."

In its most recent quarter, Apple sold 6.2 million iPods and accounted for about a third -- $1.1 billion -- of the company's overall revenue in the period.

Apple's move seemed to satisfy one user who had complained.

"I am very delighted to see Apple take this issue seriously," Matthew Peterson, an iPod nano owner who set up a Web site to collect photos of damaged iPods, said in a statement on his site.

Apple introduced the iPod nano in two versions: a two- gigabyte model selling for $199 and a four-gigabyte model for $249.

Apple's iPod line commands roughly 75 percent of the market for digital music players and provide one-third of Apple's total revenue.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    buti na lang wala akong pangbili hehehe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Problems surfacing with iPod Nano screen