New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Recently, me and the kids started a hobby. An aquarium. I got them a 50 gallon tank and a couple of juvenile fancy goldfish. Have read somewhere in the net that the water temp should be maintained around 22 deg celsius. Room temp fluctuates the water temp from 28 to 30 deg.

Aquarium chillers are quite expensive and have found some hobbyist building a thermoelectric cooling device.

My question is that if the parts are readily available sa suking electronic shops or mahirap ba source ng parts? Im planning to build one for our tank. Anybody here na aquarium hobbyist?

2. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    you can salvage peltier elements from those personal chillers that don't use compressor. or order online via aliexpress etc

then you could probably hook it up to an electronic thermostat module

take note peltiers are VERY INEFFICIENT i.e. to pump 100w from one side to the other you'll probably need 200w to do it, thus you'll need to deal with a total of 300w on the hot side. that is if you wanna run the TEC near its rated power. they're much more efficient at about half their rated power

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    This will warm up a room fast. Ive seen this on computer cooling setups.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    place the aquarium in an air conditioned room maybe?

5. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    change the fish to tilapia

6. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Please post pics of your aquarium.

Up until now I still don't have an aquarium. I want a flowerhorn kasi

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    place the aquarium in an air conditioned room maybe?
    That is what i thought at first. Problem is if we keave the house and turned the aircondition off. The sudden drop in temp might kill the fish. I tried placing a simple cdrking fan and at night the temp drops to 26 deg and comes up to 28 at noon.

I've read somewhere that peltier coolers might lower the temp too much and kill the fish when not monitored.

will be trying a couple of fans and observe first before trying the peltier cooler.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew_Alcindor View Post
    change the fish to tilapia
    hahaha! Sawa na sa tilapia!

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    Please post pics of your aquarium.

Up until now I still don't have an aquarium. I want a flowerhorn kasi
    will try to post pics later. My wife wants a flowerhorn din. Maybe after sometime we'll get a flowerhorn