New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I have a fairly old PC that's around 9 years old (these damn Gigabyte boards won't die). It's an EP45-UD3R with a Core2 Quad Q9550 CPU and 6GB of DDR2 RAM. It is mated to an ATI Radeon HD 4800 series video card.

It is a general-purpose PC that me and my family uses at home. I have, since a few years ago, upgraded to SSD and the overall performance, at least on OS and application load times and such, are on par with modern PCs. We don't play games (well, I used to during this PC's heyday but that's no longer my thing).

Anyway, I want to replace the graphics card. Reason being, the HD 4800 is technically no longer supported by Windows 10. It still works but you can tell that it's not optimized and the graphics starts to lag even with just playing around with the Windows 10 UI. It also won't play 2K and up HD videos in Youtube. Even 1080P videos can be jittery at times and you can see that it's dropping frames.

Question is, given that it is an old PC, what entry-level video card would be ideal so as to be able to optimize the Windows 10 user experience? I should mention that I also occasionally use this PC to render videos in Sony Vegas Pro 15 (up from Vegas Pro 8 when this was new). Otherwise, it doesn't get much of a workout to justify a more powerful video card nor is it a compelling reason to upgrade the whole thing.
    Last edited by oj88; December 2nd, 2018 at 02:40 PM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Nvidia 1050 3GB

don't bother with the 1030

3. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Agree get the 1050 or 2050. Very decent cards.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk Pro

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Sorry. Been a while since I started this thread. Been busy with other projects.

I've recently found a good deal on a used HIS Radeon RX560 2gb GDDR5 128bit. Again, I don't intend to play games.... I just needed a more modern graphics card that is fully supported on Windows 10 (hardware and drivers). I don't know if it will help with video rendering in Sony Vegas but if it did, that'll be a nice bonus.

Is this a good card to pair with an aging LGA775 EP45-UD3R motherboard (which I don't feel a need to upgrade unless Windows 10 stops supporting it or if it eventually dies a natural death). When Gigabyte marketed this motherboard as "Ultra Durable 3", they weren't kidding around.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Yes

for your use case you can put almost any card and it will be fine as long as the price was reasonable

when things like frame performance or efficiency matters then will the discussions be more lively

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Fair enough. Thank you.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Sorry. Been a while since I started this thread. Been busy with other projects.

I've recently found a good deal on a used HIS Radeon RX560 2gb GDDR5 128bit. Again, I don't intend to play games.... I just needed a more modern graphics card that is fully supported on Windows 10 (hardware and drivers). I don't know if it will help with video rendering in Sony Vegas but if it did, that'll be a nice bonus.

Is this a good card to pair with an aging LGA775 EP45-UD3R motherboard (which I don't feel a need to upgrade unless Windows 10 stops supporting it or if it eventually dies a natural death). When Gigabyte marketed this motherboard as "Ultra Durable 3", they weren't kidding around.

i don't think GPU helps that much w/ Vegas

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    PC folks, I'm back with another question:

I have a Plex Media Server that's hosting about 10TB worth of content (out of 24TB total capacity) for family and friends. With 4K TVs becoming more common, I am now looking into hosting the media in their full 4K format. Thing is, my server, which is still using an i5-4570 CPU, does not support hardware transcoding of HEVC 10-bit files.

Long story short, can a budget of 15k get me a Kaby Lake CPU and a matching motherboard that can handle up to 32GB of RAM (memory will be purchased separately)?

Recommendations please. I'm open to pre-used gear.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    PC folks, I'm back with another question:

I have a Plex Media Server that's hosting about 10TB worth of content (out of 24TB total capacity) for family and friends. With 4K TVs becoming more common, I am now looking into hosting the media in their full 4K format. Thing is, my server, which is still using an i5-4570 CPU, does not support hardware transcoding of HEVC 10-bit files.

Long story short, can a budget of 15k get me a Kaby Lake CPU and a matching motherboard that can handle up to 32GB of RAM (memory will be purchased separately)?

Recommendations please. I'm open to pre-used gear.

You could already get Coffee Lake with your budget
    TipidPC.com - Processor lga1151 Intel Core i5-84 2.8Ghz 6 core Coffeelake
    TipidPC.com - Motherboard lga1151 Asus TUF H31M Plus Gaming

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Ahh... thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast