New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Anyone here with firsthand experience on any of these 3 programs especially on a Core Duo Mac? Mac users should know these 3 immediately.

Parallels - virtualization app

CrossOver - Wine for OSX

Boot Camp - full blown natively-run XP or Vista on an Intel Mac.

I've read some articles on all 3. But, I'd like to hear from actual users.
    Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'm currently using Bootcamp and Parallels... I tried CrossOver a little bit but still found it buggy... I'm running them on a core duo and core 2 duo machines as well...

anything you want to know about them?

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by need4speed View Post
    I'm currently using Bootcamp and Parallels... I tried CrossOver a little bit but still found it buggy... I'm running them on a core duo and core 2 duo machines as well...

anything you want to know about them?
    Well for one thing, how's the speed/responsiveness of Parallels on a Core Duo?
    If it's responsive enough, I'd probably stay in Tiger and use Parallels' Coherence Mode.

For Bootcamp, does XP/Vista see the Mac partition and vice versa with Tiger?
    So long as one or the other can see files at the other side. I want to try and avoid duplication of files besides using external storage.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Well for one thing, how's the speed/responsiveness of Parallels on a Core Duo?
    If it's responsive enough, I'd probably stay in Tiger and use Parallels' Coherence Mode.

For Bootcamp, does XP/Vista see the Mac partition and vice versa with Tiger?
    So long as one or the other can see files at the other side. I want to try and avoid duplication of files besides using external storage.
    on bootcamp, the osx can see (write and read) the xp partition. the xp partition on the other hand is clueless about the osx partition. xp simply cannot access osx unless you use macdrive (on a fat32 partition).

currently clueless regarding parallels.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by metatron View Post
    on bootcamp, the osx can see (write and read) the xp partition. the xp partition on the other hand is clueless about the osx partition. xp simply cannot access osx unless you use macdrive (on a fat32 partition).

currently clueless regarding parallels.
    Cool. Boot Camp is my best option then. I've been taking with a friend earlier and he concurred. He preferred running XP natively on his iMac.

I guess OSX is similar to many Linux distros then. So long as it can see the XP partition. never mind if XP is clueless.

I may try Parallels still just to tinker with. I think it's $80 at the Apple Store.

Thanks.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    my boss is using parallels on his macbook pro.
    so far, i haven't heard any negative remark from him.
    but then again, he _is_ a mac zealot.

since darwin is based on the bsd kernel it's pretty safe to assume the underlying functionality of OSX is very much similar to linux.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    * Jun... what is your main use for XP or Vista ?

is it going to be games? (if that's what you want better stick to BootCamp - or anything that does any heavy 3d rendering). If it's everything else, Parallels is right for you. I believe Parallels has a demo you can try, why not check it out. I'm using both Parallels and Bootcamp and have different uses for each. But most of the time I'm on Parallels.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by need4speed View Post
    * Jun... what is your main use for XP or Vista ?

is it going to be games? (if that's what you want better stick to BootCamp - or anything that does any heavy 3d rendering). If it's everything else, Parallels is right for you. I believe Parallels has a demo you can try, why not check it out. I'm using both Parallels and Bootcamp and have different uses for each. But most of the time I'm on Parallels.
    Mainly for my wife. She does a lot of her work in XP plus she plays some (older) games like Dungeon Keeper 2. I figured running XP natively should be the best option for that aspect and then switch back to Tiger when she does surf the internet. I assume Boot Camp's XP drivers will have Direct 3D enabled for the Core Duo chipset. The 3D doesn't have to be that robust. Dungeon Keeper 2 dates back from 1999 and runs fine on TNT2 or weaker video cards. I figure a couple more Mac Minis should do the trick. All our internet at home will be done through them.

Me, I still game and do a lot of encoding/transcoding/rendering on the pc. For my wife and kid, their pc use are more modest and can be handled by Boot Camp. If Parallels gain 3D support, I might consider it more.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; April 23rd, 2007 at 10:58 AM.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Mainly for my wife. She does a lot of her work in XP plus she plays some (older) games like Dungeon Keeper 2. I figured running XP natively should be the best option for that aspect and then switch back to Tiger when she does surf the internet. I assume Boot Camp's XP drivers will have Direct 3D enabled for the Core Duo chipset. The 3D doesn't have to be that robust. Dungeon Keeper 2 dates back from 1999 and runs fine on TNT2 or weaker video cards. I figure a couple more Mac Minis should do the trick. All our internet at home will be done through them.

Me, I still game and do a lot of encoding/transcoding/rendering on the pc. For my wife and kid, their pc use are more modest and can be handled by Boot Camp. If Parallels gain 3D support, I might consider it more.
    modest 3d games (personally tried unreal tournament, half-life and warcraft 3) work fine with macbooks (intel gma 950 based). DK2 should run problem free.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by metatron View Post
    modest 3d games (personally tried unreal tournament, half-life and warcraft 3) work fine with macbooks (intel gma 950 based). DK2 should run problem free.
    That's what I thought. I might wait a bit and see if Apple will release a Core 2 Duo Mini. But, I'm satisfied even with the Core Duo Mini.

The rest of my time can then be spent on a mid-life video card upgrade for my X2 4200+ pc and replace the old hard drives on the 2 Windows laptops with faster ones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Parallels, Bootcamp, and CrossOver for Mac