New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    need a free replacement for Microsoft Office, try this office suite for free, it has 98% of the features of Ms office and its for free.

It also supports Opendocuments, byebye MS word proprietary .doc formats etc etc, now people, business, organizations, and government can exchange data, files, documents without worrying if the other party can open the said files, if you dont have opendocument capable office suite, you can just download Openoffice 2.0 (79 mb).

Microsoft abhors the idea of Open formats and standards, People and governments are locked into using their Ms office suite because you can only reliably open .doc .ppt. .xls with MS word.

And Microsoft doesnt plan to support Opendocuments to lock users in using their Office suite. And they are against any adoption of Open standards like Opendocuments.

Its all about money, if people, government, and business starts adopting and using Opendocuments capable Suites (Openoffice, Koffice, etc etc) they would see it pointless to buy Ms office since files and be opened, edited and saved using any of the said suite. Unless your a Power User that needs 100% of the Ms office features, Openoffice, or open documents standard will be enough for 99% of Office suite user.

Lets do our share in fighting monopolistic lock ins, and let start spreading the news about Opendocuments and Open standards.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    any link for downloading the software

3. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    openoffice.org

4. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    i'll wait for small bugs to be ironed out, probably ver. 2.01 susunod agad

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    i've been using openoffice since february this year and i have no complaints. i can open and read 99% of all the msoffice files being sent to me.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    openoffice 2.0 was released last night, expect a lil bit slow access to its main sight because of traffic. as of count openoffice 1.x.x has 50 million downloads, in the mad scrammble to upgrade to the openoffice 2.0, expect network traffic due to downloads.

tried it myself, im impressed on its new look and feel, never thought free software can this be good.

Well, i have been using Firefox for sometime now, all I can say that Free software does work.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    'Been using OpenOffice for a long time at home. Even used StarOffice when it was still for free.

OpenOffice doesn't have the bells and whistles of Ms Office but it works well enough for my personal needs.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    mantoy

yes, pero opendocuments is the way to go. the software the was used to create the msoffice files are not free. And the reverse engineering of ms office files is not perfect, when ms extends that file formats, expect openoffice not to be able to open or display the file properly.

Bluebimmer

havent encountered any bugs yet, so far im happy with it, what small bugs specifically have u encountered

if we support opendocuments capable office suites, well save our government/country millions if there is wide spread use.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    The major thing with OpenOffice 2.0 here it has Opendocument read and write capability.

Older openoffice 1.x.x versions only have read capability.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    is this the one by google? i heard google is doing something to compete with ms office.

hell yeah.. firefox is a great example of what good will come for this... hopefully a great
    os comes next for free!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
OpenOffice 2.0 now out, Fight Microsoft monopolistic Practices