New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I have connected my office computers to my home network (which is across the street) via wifi. My office computers can communicate with the computers at home and is also connected to the internet. I also have a Network Attached Storage.

My plan is to use the NAS as the storage center for the data files in the office so I can still access them at home. I did it, but there were times that if I'll access the file from the office, it says that the file is already in use. But the other computers haven't been setup to access the data file so only the computer that I'm using can use it. I tried to restart the computer but still the same error.

Is there something wrong with the way my network is setup?

Here is my network setup:

Home computers (wired and wifi) and NAS (wired) connected to WIFI ROUTER #1
    WIFI ROUTER #2 (configured as access point) connected (wired) to WIFI ROUTER #1
    Office computers (wifi) connected to WIFI ROUTER #2

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    imho, nothing wrong with the network setup, but i think there is something wrong with the NAS is set.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    But the computers at home doesn't encounter this problem with the NAS.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Maybe the wireless link goes down intermittently, but the NAS doesn't notice? So its idea of what files are open by which processes are retained. When the PCs retry the operation, the NAS thinks it's another process.

My P 0.02.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Maybe the wireless link goes down intermittently, but the NAS doesn't notice? So its idea of what files are open by which processes are retained. When the PCs retry the operation, the NAS thinks it's another process.

My P 0.02.
    That's most probably the reason.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    ^^agree..Poor signal causes low throughput and may congest link causing intermittency. Try to check reachability of NAS at your office, maybe a simple ping test would do.

Office networking