New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    My camera takes really dark photos. I noticed this recently. I thought it was only because the place was not well lit. Last night we were taking pictures in a well lit area and it still appeared as though we were somewhere dark! I asked my friend to take the exact photos and upon comparison theirs appear the same and normal while mine was dark! I reset the camera settings to default but that did not fix it. I tried no flash, with flash and auto flash but it did not make any difference.

What could be wrong?

2. Join Date
    May 2011
    Err tried adjusting the screen brightness?

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

3. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Increase the ISO settings to 400-600...

4. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by car_bore View Post
    Err tried adjusting the screen brightness?

It's not my screen that's the problem. It's really the pictures.

In the picture below, notice that the background is dark. This place is very well lit (daylight lighting) but the pic looks as if we were some place with dim lighting.

I was just taking different shots and this one looked decent but still a little dark:

Last edited by _Cathy_; May 31st, 2014 at 06:51 PM.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Monseratto View Post
    Increase the ISO settings to 400-600...
    Thanks. I will try that. What is ISO?

I am just wondering what happened to the camera in my phone? I never tinkered with the settings and now I am getting dark pictures.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Many cameras including phone cameras usually have an exposure compensation setting. Check if your setting is dead spot on the center scale and not on the negative/minus side. If it's on the minus side, all your photos will be underexposed therefore, dark generally.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by remzam View Post
    Many cameras including phone cameras usually have an exposure compensation setting. Check if your setting is dead spot on the center scale and not on the negative/minus side. If it's on the minus side, all your photos will be underexposed therefore, dark generally.
    Where do I check this exposure setting?

8. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Hmm... Try looking for the settings in the camera menu. Either try adjusting the ISO or turn on the smart stabilization. Not sure though cuz I'm using a note 3...:\

9. Join Date
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    Where do I check this exposure setting?
    Its this one, try finding it on the camera settings menu. Its from a different phone though but looks similar to your note 2.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1401556400605.jpg  

10. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Top picture: My guess is the white dishes in the foreground affected the camera's exposure. The camera compensated by making the people darker.

Bottom picture: The white dishes are still there but not much, so the people look lighter. There's a bright light in the background by the curtains though.

Try these:
    1) Do not include white objects in the picture. Separate the shots for people and the dishes.

2) I don't know about cameras in phones, but in normal cameras you can chose which area where the camera sets its exposure to (such as the subject's face).

3) Hold the phone/camera closer to your subject and use the fill-in flash. Not too close because the flash might white-out the image.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast