New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2008

NOKIA the TITANIC

2. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    At&t is selling the Lumia 900 for 1 cent...a steal if you the type who only call, text and surf or who don't change phone every year. Hope Globe will offer the same locally.

Should people still buy a Lumia 900 in wake of Windows Phone 8 news?

Microsoft unveiled its Windows Phone 8 operating system earlier this week with software improvements and support for new hardware, but the bombshell for current Windows Phone users was the news of no updates to the new OS. Existing Lumia Windows Phone devices, and some other handsets, will be offered a Windows Phone 7.8 update that includes a new Start Screen interface. Understandably, the reaction to the news has been mixed, so we sat down with Nokia's Kevin Shields to find out if the company is doing enough for its existing Lumia users.

"I definitely think it's more than enough. I think that ultimately your typical customer probably isn't all that aware of this upgrade thing," he says, referring to news about Windows Phone 8. Shields says he holds Nokia accountable for ensuring that the company delivers on its promises with its Lumia range. "I definitely think with products like the Lumia 900, where a consumer walks in and buys that product they're getting great value and they're getting a great offering that's gonna have a long lifetime of innovation."

Many will question whether more innovative Windows Phone apps will simply take advantage of the next-generation hardware and unique kernel features that allow for native code support on Windows Phone 8 devices, but Nokia is attempting to appease its existing customers with a set of new apps. Rolling out to all Lumia devices between now and the end of July, features such as a Camera Extras app will extend the functionality of the Windows Phone camera on Lumia devices by adding Panorama and Smart Group Shot options.

Should people still buy a Lumia 900 in the wake of the Windows Phone 8 news? Shields certainly thinks so. "I feel really good about recommending the product," he says, but will consumers feel really good about the lack of upgrades?

This article was originally published on theverge.com - Nokia: we're doing 'more than enough' for Nokia 900 users, despite the lack of WP8 upgrade
    Last edited by Monseratto; June 27th, 2012 at 11:33 AM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I think Nokia stands to lose the most. It's barely just a quarter ago when the Lumia 900, in all its fanfare, came out. And now, MS just shot Nokia in the foot by announcing to the world that their pride and glory is dead in the water the moment it got out.

Other major manufacturers like Samsung, HTC, Sony have Android. Nokia has most of their eggs on MS' basket.

It's just bad timing... the Lumia 900 and the (incompatible) WP8 coming out within the same year. Now, if the new version would've come out next year, at least it could've given the Lumia 900 a good year's run before becoming 'obsolete'.

Well, looking at the glass half-full, at least most, if not all current Windows Phone will still acquire some watered-down features of the new OS when WP7.8 comes out.
    If I didn't know any better, I'd say MS was screwing Nokia. But, after re-reading the newsbit, it was a Nokia spokesperson who mentioned that the Lumia 900 won't be upgradeable to Windows 8. :nono: She could have said that the company is studying how its current smartphone lineup will run future phone OS releases of MS.

Instead, she shot the company in the foot. Talk about amateur night at work.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Monseratto View Post
    At&t is selling the Lumia 900 for 1 cent...a steal if you the type who only call, text and surf or who don't change phone every year. Hope Globe will offer the same locally.
    Hope Globe/Smart sells them cheaper.

Re: the interview with the Nokia rep, sounds like damage control after the initial disclosure of the upgrade issue. Lifetime of innovation? Once WP8 comes out together with the phone that it runs with, it renders the older Lumias obsolete, right?

5. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Altis6453 View Post
    Hope Globe/Smart sells them cheaper.

Re: the interview with the Nokia rep, sounds like damage control after the initial disclosure of the upgrade issue. Lifetime of innovation? Once WP8 comes out together with the phone that it runs with, it renders the older Lumias obsolete, right?
    Not really. you just won't be able to access apps specifically made for WP8.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Those who jumped into windows phone 7.5 will be as pissed as those who did wndows mobile...
    haha sabi ko na nga ba eh pinapahinayang mo ako eh. my lumia is my backup phone. it has full-GPS capabilities which made it very useful to me in my recent trip in China. My Iphone 4S still has A-GPS so walang kwenta sa travel maps. Nokia creates very good maps for GPS. they're known for that. in Washington DC, if not for my old Nokia E72, baka hindi ko napuntahan ang lahat walk tours dun bec. Nokia has walk to GPS aside from drive to

and now bec. I am well informed with the new Windows Phone and the advent of Windows 8 Surface, it saved me more money in the future coz of two things: I wont buy an Ipad anymore and I wont buy a laptop anymore. I'll just buy a Microsoft Surface Ipads are handicapped if it can't install apps or software out of the applestore, tapos you need to jailbreak it pa just to get poorly-designed apple apps from apple hackes. Laptops are handicapped bec. it consumes too much battery.

the MS Surface promises to be like the Ipad with full Windows functionality. and it's priced like the Ipad. kapag eto ang battery eh singtagal ng Ipad, that alone is bonus for me. coz I will have now as mobile as an Ipad with full Windows capabilities na ginagawa ko noon pa.

-------

and what about my Lumia 800. I use my dual sim Nokia c2 as my backup phone, and boy it's so stone age. there are times that i can't bring my expensive Iphone 4S sa mga lugar na delikado like gym lockers and places like Binondo and Divisoria. it's good to have a Nokia Lumia na bukod nasa cheap na, madali pa i-openline unlike Globe locked Iphones. my Lumia is now unlocked to Smart and therefore I enjoy the fast speeds of 3G of Smart na walang sinabi ang globe.

and lastly, I dont buy cellphones from stores. I buy my Lumia sa mga globe employees na may benefits or raffles na nabibigyan ng Globe. hence, I bought my brand new Lumia for just 12K. if I sell it now, i can sell it at 12k and I will be flooded with calls, bec. many are interested with the MS Surface and they want to test Windows Live Tiles now.

eh kaya lang ayaw ko eh, kasi nga I know naman that Windows 8 is backwards compatible, it can sync with previous version WP7, hell it can even sync with Iphones' Itunes.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Not really. you just won't be able to access apps specifically made for WP8.
    Then that makes the LUMIA phones Obsolete.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Great you know those facts, that's why Android controls 61% of the smartphone OS market. While the vaunted Windows Phone holds a measly 5% and IOS has 21%. I guess personaliztion is what most people want. don't they?
    Yes , that's why I bought an Android phone. Gusto ko talaga na-cucustomize. Kapag walang ability na yan, boring for me. Nung chineck ko yung demo unit ng Lumia sa isang shop, napa-wow ako :D at first. Responsive talaga and maganda display. But I also want the ability to customize like the colors and themes so asked the sales person. So I learnd na puede mo lang baguhin color ng tiles so limited lang. Thumbs down sa akin dahil dun. No offense for Lumia users out there, but I called it Nokia Lamya after that, kasi malamya tingnan.

Sure this is not the case for others. Kaya depende talaga sa user yan, just choose what suits you. Kapag na-satisfy nag isang phone ang likes of the majority that will be a hit for sure.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Former Lumia (or Windows Phone) user here (Lumia 625) . I loved using it, I even use it as a wifi hotspot. Kahit yung response niya, OK. But something is lacking for Windows OS (that android and iOS has to offer). kaya I decided to sell my phone (it's still up for sale) and bought an android device.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by myas110 View Post
    Former Lumia (or Windows Phone) user here (Lumia 625) . I loved using it, I even use it as a wifi hotspot. Kahit yung response niya, OK. But something is lacking for Windows OS (that android and iOS has to offer). kaya I decided to sell my phone (it's still up for sale) and bought an android device.
    i'm still holding to my lumia 925. if it's just talk n text, and some basics like calendar, memo, camera, etc., it fits the bill.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Nokia Lumia series.