New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2008

Windoze zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............

2. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by marg View Post

Windoze zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............

eto na Microsoft Comeback Windows 8 Tablet with what you say is dull boxed icons

with usb, office and the cover is the keyboard. beat that Apple

this is the new laptop + tablet in one using Windows Phone 7 interface. been using builtin Office of my Lumia 800 for cloud word processing. this one's bigger screen hehe.

MS is now going to manufacture both software and hardware. goodbye asus, dell, etc. pano na kaya si google without any hardware dept. to boot

hindi nyo maiwasan hindi gamitin to coz your existing PC will look the same as this once you upgrade to windows 8. instead of using your existing PC, why not just buy Surface, it's just priced at par with the iPad. free na ang Windows 8 unlike if you use your pc now, bile pa kayo licensed Windows 8

eto na siguro ang comeback ni MS
    Last edited by pop3corn; June 19th, 2012 at 06:42 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Nokia stock plunges over no Windows upgrade for Lumia 900

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news...mia-900-236020

"People did not quite understand a year and a half ago what a partnership with Microsoft would mean. Now Microsoft calls the shots and Nokia simply follows."

Shares in beleaguered telecom giant Nokia plunged to a 16-year low on Monday after Microsoft said its Windows 8 upgrade would not work on Nokia's new flagship smartphone, the Lumia 900 model.

Nokia's share price shed 10 percent on Monday, to 1.73 euros, its lowest point since August 1996 when it hit 1.71 euros.

At the beginning of this year, a share in the company cost 4.0 euros.

Microsoft last week gave developers a sneak peek at its Windows Phone 8 software, expected to be launched later this year, but said "it will not run on existing hardware".

"Customers will not be able to upgrade their Lumia 900s to Microsoft's Windows 8," Lauren Pluchino, a Nokia spokeswoman, told AFP on Monday.

Nokia launched the Lumia 900 earlier this year after undergoing a major restructuring, phasing out its Symbian line of smartphones in favour of a partnership with Microsoft.

The strategy has been part of the Finnish company's attempts to survive on a rapidly changing landscape, with stiff competition from RiM's Blackberry, Apple's iPhone and handsets running Google's Android platform.

But Nokia, which only recently lost the world number one ranking it had held for 14 years, announced two weeks ago massive new spending cuts and 10,000 more layoffs would be needed, in addition to the some 12,000 layoffs already announced in the past year and a half.

Observers speculated Nokia would suffer short term damage over the upgrade issue.

"Today's drop in stock price is probably a consequence of several factors, but the upgrade issue is definitely one factor," Ari Hakkarainen, an analyst at Andalys Oy, told AFP.

"The upgrade issue might have a negative impact on the company's sales," Rikka Tuominen, an analyst at Nordea, echoed.

They said the upgrade problem was symptomatic of Nokia's inability to operate independently.

"People did not quite understand a year and a half ago what a partnership with Microsoft would mean. Now Microsoft calls the shots and Nokia simply follows," Hakkarainen said.

Tuominen said Nokia was now reacting rather than acting independently, and "this recent news about upgrading problems indicates that the company's partnership with Microsoft has its problems."

Nokia has made no announcement about future phone launches and "expects to be selling and supporting phones on Windows Phone 7.5 for a long time," the company said in a statement on Monday.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    [B]Nokia stock plunges over no Windows upgrade for Lumia 900

"Customers will not be able to upgrade their Lumia 900s to Microsoft's Windows 8," Lauren Pluchino, a Nokia spokeswoman, told AFP on Monday.

All Lumia Phones in the Philippines are now OBSOLETE.
    Last edited by hein; June 26th, 2012 at 07:46 PM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by hein View Post
    All Lumia Phones in the Philippines are now OBSOLETE.

you can look at it another way. You can buy really great smart phones for a lot less today.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    NO WP8 apps will work on current WP7 phones... Dunno if Microsoft will pay Nokia for this boo-boo...

News Here's why current WP phones won't get Windows Phone 8
    26 June, 2012

Microsoft caused a lot of excitement when they announced Windows Phone 8, but also a good deal of disappointment when it became clear that the new OS won't be coming to the current crop of Windows Phone devices.

There's a reason for that - the two OSes may look similar on the outside, but they are vastly different on the inside. The new core that enables so many cool features (multiple CPU cores, better graphics) is shared with Windows 8 RT (based on Windows NT) and not Windows Phone 7 (based on Windows CE, same as Windows Mobile).

Microsoft’s senior marketing manager for Windows Phone, Greg Sullivan, says that it's not impossible to port WP8 on older devices, but the cost of doing that would be very high and the benefit very little - WP8 enables multi-core support, higher resolution screens, NFC, microSD card support and so on, none of which will make a difference on the legacy hardware.

What they are getting (as part of the Windows Phone 7.8 update) is the new start screen - it's the most noticeable change in the OS and will actually benefit the current Windows Phone smartphones.

Users who move to the new version of the OS will get to keep using their Windows Phone 7 apps as those will work on WP8. There's no backwards compatibility for the newly developed WP8 apps though and there's nothing that can be done about it - for example, the Adreno 205 just won't cut it for games intended for a Snapdragon S4 (which packs an Adreno 225 or 305).
    Last edited by Monseratto; June 26th, 2012 at 10:19 PM.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    not only Nokia will be affected by this, but all manufacturers who provided hardware for the WP7. samsung, lg, htc, asus.

it's a given naman eh, Windows 8 is rewritten from scratch. and this is the first MS will be producing their hardware and software ala Apple with the Microsoft Surface.

regarding apps-compatibility, I really don't care even if I have a Lumia 800. main reason I got the Lumia was to test the cloud compatibility of MS Office as well as MS Onenote for WP7, Skydrive and for Windows 7. so far, successful ako sa test ko and I'm ready for MS Surface. now i can have one location of my files for all, WP7, Win7, IOS5 and the upcoming WP8.

it's goodbye memory cards, flash disk for me now.

you guys may wanna sell all your desktops and laptops and ipads, coz they will all be obsolete once MS Surface hits our shoes. grabe ang implementation ng cloud discipline ng Microsoft. even iCloud is no match.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by pop3corn View Post
    you guys may wanna sell all your desktops and laptops and ipads, coz they will all be obsolete once MS Surface hits our shoes. grabe ang implementation ng cloud discipline ng Microsoft. even iCloud is no match.

I have heard that before with the arrival of the tablets and other previous "cutting edge" tech.

Yet I still see desktops and laptops a-plenty. Even conventional style mobile phones are still around (the type with a keypad and tiny screens).

Even my Symbian based Nokia smartphone works well enough with all the features needed in today's internet connected world including wifi, 3G hotspot, GPS, browsing, weather, etc. It may not be the latest tech but it is still tech that is relevant today and doesn't run out of battery charge after 12 hours like some Apple smart phones.

So I'll keep to my trusty tried and proven hardware/softwares and skip over the new stuff... it is so hard & expensive to be unofficial beta testers for big companies trying out "first gen" tech on unsuspecting early adapters.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; June 26th, 2012 at 11:35 PM.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Those who jumped into windows phone 7.5 will be as pissed as those who did wndows mobile...
    Last edited by Monseratto; June 27th, 2012 at 12:01 AM.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I think Nokia stands to lose the most. It's barely just a quarter ago when the Lumia 900, in all its fanfare, came out. And now, MS just shot Nokia in the foot by announcing to the world that their pride and glory is dead in the water the moment it got out.

Other major manufacturers like Samsung, HTC, Sony have Android. Nokia has most of their eggs on MS' basket.

It's just bad timing... the Lumia 900 and the (incompatible) WP8 coming out within the same year. Now, if the new version would've come out next year, at least it could've given the Lumia 900 a good year's run before becoming 'obsolete'.

Well, looking at the glass half-full, at least most, if not all current Windows Phone will still acquire some watered-down features of the new OS when WP7.8 comes out.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Nokia Lumia series.