New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    It's my first smartphone (Lenovo P700i) after several years using a Nokia E52....I installed several apps already but not an antivirus...is it necessary? would I experience lag issues if I install one? What is the best among the free antiviru for smartphoness? I know that PCs need AV, but what about the smartphones....TIA

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by attyallanlatras View Post
    It's my first smartphone (Lenovo P700i) after several years using a Nokia E52....I installed several apps already but not an antivirus...is it necessary? would I experience lag issues if I install one? What is the best among the free antiviru for smartphoness? I know that PCs need AV, but what about the smartphones....TIA
    if your not installing "other" softwares then theres not much need to install. but for peace of mind, yes.

recommended antivirus? i dont have any. but, i using avast. as its what im using with my PC. personal preference.

does it lag? yes, specially when installing apps as it scans it before running.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    I have McAfee security installed. aside from having an antivirus, i like the lockout and auto wipe security features after a number of invalid pin entries. it also has an auto sms feature to another number when inserting a new sim in the phone. plus, you can't use the new sim unless you unlock and authorize it first (via your defined mcafee pin/password).

there is some lag to having items (widgets and links) available in your home screens when booting up since the antivirus takes a while to clear everything.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    hindi na cguro imo.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Retz View Post
    hindi na cguro imo.
    Agree ako dito. Basta lahat ng apps mo galing sa Google Play, hindi na kailangan ng anti-virus.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    The boldface in the remarks is mine. The reason I emphasized that was because smartphones are essentially miniature PCs nowadays - especially the Android kind, where the app ecosystem is open. Underestimating IT security can have serious consequences - this can lead to identity theft and social engineering, and smartphones are definitely part of the IT security umbrella.

I don't use Avast on my PCs, but I do use it on my phone (I use a Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini Pro/SK17i). So far so good. It's got a few anti-theft measures too. Even if I don't root the phone or use custom ROMs, I think some form of antivirus is a necessity.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by roninblade View Post

I have McAfee security installed. aside from having an antivirus, i like the lockout and auto wipe security features after a number of invalid pin entries. it also has an auto sms feature to another number when inserting a new sim in the phone. plus, you can't use the new sim unless you unlock and authorize it first (via your defined mcafee pin/password).

there is some lag to having items (widgets and links) available in your home screens when booting up since the antivirus takes a while to clear everything.
    that has got to be the funniest thing yet, anti-virus on a smartphone lol.

You know why you need this? It's bec you allow your phones to be modified by letting hackers write some code and execute it in the phone itself. So syempre, thr double-edged sword of it all is you compromise your entire operating system.

What a waste of time and productivity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Type 100 View Post
    The boldface in the remarks is mine. The reason I emphasized that was because smartphones are essentially miniature PCs nowadays - especially the Android kind, where the app ecosystem is open. Underestimating IT security can have serious consequences - this can lead to identity theft and social engineering, and smartphones are definitely part of the IT security umbrella.

I don't use Avast on my PCs, but I do use it on my phone (I use a Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini Pro/SK17i). So far so good. It's got a few anti-theft measures too. Even if I don't root the phone or use custom ROMs, I think some form of antivirus is a necessity.
    And that is why apple doesn't allow downloading files from the net or reading/copying files from an external device.

The cloud solves those file sharing problems, pero kung mahilig ka talaga sa nakaw na mp3, video, docs, well android it is bdc. It is somehow all in one, all-in-one nga pati virus, trojan, malwares.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pop3corn View Post
    And that is why apple doesn't allow downloading files from the net or reading/copying files from an external device.

The cloud solves those file sharing problems, pero kung mahilig ka talaga sa nakaw na mp3, video, docs, well android it is bdc. It is somehow all in one, all-in-one nga pati virus, trojan, malwares.

Hindi mo na naman alam pinagsasabi mo.

10. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pop3corn View Post

Hoy Apple fanboi/OB the TS doesn't give a sh*t on Apple. Kaya nga naka Android na sya, e. Malamang tapos na sya sa Android vs Apple..

BTT: IMO, you don't need it anymore. UNLESS you're the type of user that puts different files on the phone (i.e. non-legit downloads like t o r rent, files from computer, etc.) then i guess it's worth a try

I downloaded AVG (from Google Play) on my mom's SGS II then uninstalled it afterwards because background scanning (and stuff like that) will affect battery life for sure hehe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by RVRSSG2.0; October 21st, 2012 at 09:18 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast