New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Cross-posted from another forum, with revisions.

The background: I got into the Arduino prototyping bandwagon in 2014 because I wanted to create a clock that can regularly query an atomic timekeeper via NTP on the internet. My lame excuse was that I simply got tired of correcting quartz clocks every several weeks because of poor movement accuracy. I'm an engineer and I always love a challenge.

However, I got lazy and went for the easy way out.

Why not use a tablet? I had an extra one (at the time) lying around so instead of selling it at practically zero value, why not convert it into an appliance? It's already got a processor, a display, and thousands of ready-made apps.

This was the first ever tablet from Samsung, the Galaxy Tab P1000, which we bought in Dec 2010. It's been rooted and currently runs Cyanogenmod firmware. I had to literally sift through dozens of clock apps before I settled with the one below. I also added a utility that will regularly synchronize the time with a time server. It's permanently plugged in using a modified USB cable (to allow it to charge at full-current using any 3rd-party charger). I installed this last October 2014 and so far, it has never needed too much intervention. I just update the apps every several months (instead of weeks). Most of all, it's always on time!

Next is a Starmobile 7TV+. I bought it because I wanted a portable analog/digital TV... just for the heck of it. After the wow factor have died, I made it into a CCTV monitor on my bedside table. I only keep this on at night (or when we're waiting for the pizza delivery guy to appear).

Finally, as part of a re-contracting deal with Globe, I also received a free Lenovo A3300 tablet (bundled with a Lenovo A536 smartphone). The phone went to my son. But since I've got nothing planned for the tablet, I thought I make it into a dedicated Spotify and Pandora player for the time being. It connects to a Bluetooth receiver which then plays audio out a Xenon 2.1 speaker.

Android tablets are cheap. Older or basic models costs even less. If you're just running simple apps, you don't need a powerful model. Doing this has allowed us to free up our iPads for doing the regular stuff; work files, browsing and games.

Try playing a tune from Spotify and play games at the same time from a single device. ;)

So, share what you have or what you're planning to do with old/surplus devices.
    Last edited by oj88; December 29th, 2015 at 02:13 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Use your old tablet as dashboard camera, install videoreg and it has a plug in to auto record ounce you supply power (plug it to your cigarette lighter), if the screen is big enough mount it on your rear window, should provide a good view for the back, add nga lan ng back lights para sa gabi kita pa din sa likod lalo na pag paattas sa parking.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Every time, I win these androids from raffles or get hand me-downs, I sell them right away. No sense, keeping it. Walang ako tyaga sa response ng touch screen ng androids

4. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Iphone 4s. Dedicated spotify streamer and alarm clock
    Iphone 5 - Dedicated for Waze / Internet Backup
    Nexus 7 - For downloading *******s.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Manilablock View Post
    Use your old tablet as dashboard camera, install videoreg and it has a plug in to auto record ounce you supply power (plug it to your cigarette lighter), if the screen is big enough mount it on your rear window, should provide a good view for the back, add nga lan ng back lights para sa gabi kita pa din sa likod lalo na pag paattas sa parking.
    I personally don't like this idea for two reasons:

1. A smartphone or tablet in plain view on the dashboard, even if they're cheap, is an invitation to break into your vehicle. And removing them when parking as well as putting them back just before driving is the very definition of cumbersome.

2. There are already purpose-built dashcams that I think is more appropriate for this application. They're also less conspicuous than a 5"-7" phablet/tablet.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I personally don't like this idea for two reasons:

1. A smartphone or tablet in plain view on the dashboard, even if they're cheap, is an invitation to break into your vehicle. And removing them when parking as well as putting them back just before driving is the very definition of cumbersome.

2. There are already purpose-built dashcams that I think is more appropriate for this application. They're also less conspicuous than a 5"-7" phablet/tablet.
    you are correct, sir, in your bottomline.
    but i side with the "creators".
    it is the challenge, not the convenience, that drives these guys.
    i am confident they can easily purchase the latest and the bestest. but that feeling of "creating where there was nothing" is not to be spiffled with.
    i still have with me, my very first "home-made compass", made from an old hacksaw blade, 2 inch nail, and a piece of wood. i made it when i was a teenager. it also introduced me to my dad's workshop.

hi, pop, wherever you are. say hi to mom. merry Christmas.
    (they both passed away 11 years ago.)
    Last edited by dr. d; December 29th, 2015 at 04:10 PM.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    you are correct, sir, in your bottomline.
    but i side with the "creators".
    it is the challenge, not the convenience, that drives these guys.
    i am confident they can easily purchase the latest and the bestest. but that feeling of "creating where there was nothing" is not to be spiffled with.
    i still have with me, my very first "home-made compass", made from an old hacksaw blade, 2 inch nail, and a piece of wood. i made it when i was a teenager. it also introduced me to my dad's workshop.

hi, pop, wherever you are. say hi to mom. merry Christmas.
    (they both passed away 11 years ago.)
    I was speaking from experience. To be able to come up with a solution for something that doesn't exist yet is one thing. Doing things the hard way when a more appropriate solution at equal or lower cost is available, is another.

Well before Waze and prior to owning a proper car GPS (and later a 2DIN Nav HU), I used a Samsung i780 Windows Mobile 6 for navigation. As there was no Windows Store then, all apps have to be side-loaded, including (not particularly proud of this) a cracked version of Garmin for WindowsCE. There will come a time, pretty much like what I realized, that frequent mounting/dismounting eventually becomes a chore.
    In addition to my 2DIN Nav, I also use Waze on my phone. But since my phone (Sony Xperia Z3 Dual) has a charging dock that is semi-permanently attached to the vehicle, there are no wires or clamps/brackets to contend with.

Found the pic... from 8years ago.
    Last edited by oj88; December 29th, 2015 at 05:05 PM.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    nice! samsung i780. miss that phone. that's what i got after ditching my Treos. then went with the Motorola Droids coz i just love qwerty

9. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i read an article somewhere where they repurpose old phones as surveillance cams for forests. They hook it up to solar panels at provide housing for it, used for monitoring illegal loggers.

There's also an app that turns your cellphone into a security cam/baby monitor

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I have one tablet: 2013 7" Hisense Sero 7 Pro. It's useful for playing movies/videos, some web surfing, some gaming. I probably won't buy another. I do a lot of content creation and a tablet is useless for making spreadsheets or databases. Even my old 2010 netbook is more useful for serious work.

But, the tablet is fine for watching/listening to stuff when I'm in the gym. It replaced my old PSP.

psp1000-android-tablet.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Making good use of old or spare tablets/smartphones