New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Given the prices of bigger sized LCD TVs are still at P100K level and over, I was thinking of using a LCD projector as a good alternative since prices are between P40K to P65K for a unit and lumens are between 2000 and 2500 lumens. Resolution varies between 640i to 1080i, depending on brand and model. Bulb life is rated at 5000 hours which is good for more than 4 years if you use the projector 3 hours per day, 7 days a week.

One major concern is the bulb replacement. One store quoted me P20K for a replacement bulb and each brand has their particular bulb type.

Second major concern is the quality of the "view". Example, if I have a 1080i LCD projector, will it be clearer than a standard TV and as bright? Assume the room is darkened to optimize viewing quality of the LCD projector.

BTW, video source will be my VHS-PC via VGA port.

Anyone who can answer? Or better yet, someone with experience?
    Last edited by ghosthunter; September 19th, 2007 at 10:36 AM.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005

If I were you,- I'd get the LCD TV. IMO, there should be no question on this.

The quality of the picture in the multimedia projector is far off compared with that of the LCD TV (and you need a good 'wall' to project it).

And you're absolutely correct that the cost of the bulb is staggering...
    From our experience in the office,- burn-out is quite frequent, so maintenance-wise,- it will turn out to be a more expensive option.

Also, a simple mistake in the power-up /power-down sequence may mean (a costly) outright P20K for you....

3808:fish:

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    A 2000-2500 lumens projector still won't cut it out... if you want a projector then go for something between 3000-4000 lumens.

But still... it still can't match the clarity of LCD TVs.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The burn-out is due to leaving it on one screen too long. For office or school use, you have the projector on for hours, often showing a static image that burns in.

For occassional home-movie viewing, it should be okay.

But the quality of projectors at the 40-60k range is kinda so-so compared to a good LCD (Philips FTW!), and you'll still need a good sound system and player to back it up (an added 20-40k cost).

Bulbs can go as low as 11-12k, depending on the supplier.

Personally? Just bought a 29" CRT. 20k. I'm just waiting for the extra moolah to afford the new Philips units...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    tama si M2 to point out the 3000 lumens and up. This would allow good viewing even if maliwanag ang paligid.

anything below that 3000 lumes is good if you darken your surroundings.

another trick is to get the overhead projector "silver" screen. the screen is somewhat colored silver. this type of screen gives better light reflection. plus you can mount it on your wall or roll it up withou eating so much space.

pede ka ring maglower lumens pero kailangan mag-rear projection set-up ka.

a panasonic and samsung brand seems to have the best value for money lcd projectors... ang have the cheapest cost of replacement bulbs (less than P20k).

kung DIYer ka naman you can DIY an LCD projector with less than P40,000 budget. Good part of this is that the replacement bulb is less than P2000 lang most of the time. DIY lcd projector involves the concept (and parts) of an overhead projector and a strip down lcd monitor. DIY source - http://z6.invisionfree.com/diyprojec...ex.php?act=idx (you might need to register to view the topics).

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Personally? Just bought a 29" CRT. 20k. I'm just waiting for the extra moolah to afford the new Philips units...
    I currently use my 29 inch TV for viewing stuff like downloaded high quality episodes of Fifth Gear, Top Gear, Mythbusters, anime, movies, other TV series, etc. available on *******.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; September 19th, 2007 at 02:17 PM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by wildthing View Post
    another trick is to get the overhead projector "silver" screen. the screen is somewhat colored silver. this type of screen gives better light reflection. plus you can mount it on your wall or roll it up withou eating so much space.
    I was thinking of using a roll up screen mounted on the wall. Right now I know I can get white... I have to check if I can get silvered.

a panasonic and samsung brand seems to have the best value for money lcd projectors... ang have the cheapest cost of replacement bulbs (less than P20k).

kung DIYer ka naman you can DIY an LCD projector with less than P40,000 budget. Good part of this is that the replacement bulb is less than P2000 lang most of the time. DIY lcd projector involves the concept (and parts) of an overhead projector and a strip down lcd monitor. DIY source - http://z6.invisionfree.com/diyprojec...ex.php?act=idx (you might need to register to view the topics).
    Even Acer has relatively cheap LCD projectors at the 2000 lumen range. Priced at P43K but the bulb is rated at 3000 hours only.

I just checked Virra Mall and there is a shop selling a plasma 40 inch TV made by Panasonic for P70K.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; September 19th, 2007 at 02:20 PM.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    meron ako Epson 2000 lumens nasa bahay. dati gamit ko sa business kaya lang di ko naasikaso.

just size it at 32" like the 32" lcd tv. ok na sya. puwede nasa computer games and yun mga donwloadables 700MB divx movies and series.

i also have epson 1500 lumens malaki ang dipirensya sa quality. the 2000 lumens can operate even when the light is on.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Bro GH, check the "In Focus" brand of projectors. Some of their models are made for home video viewing.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by chua_riwap View Post
    Bro GH, check the "In Focus" brand of projectors. Some of their models are made for home video viewing.
    I have seen some of that being displayed in some stores... not much info about them at the stores. I just checked the web... The InFocus IN24 seems to be lacking in lumens. The higher model IN24+ is rated at 2400 lumens and has the same SRP as its lower model.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; September 19th, 2007 at 04:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
LCD Projector for Home Theater