New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    These videos will make you wonder how accurate the MMDA's laser speed guns that are currently being used along Commonwealth and Macapagal Ave and the ones also being used along SLEX and the SKYWAY as well. Another potential abuse by the MMDA that would be difficult to disprove?

A UK television show casts serious doubt over the reliability of speed measurements taken using the widely-used LTI 20-20 LIDAR (LASER) speed gun. A leading expert in the field of LASER distance and speed measurement throws a spanner into the Government spin machine that tells us these devices are infallible. I wonder how many prosecutions have been brought about and subsequent lives ruined through loss of jobs etc based on readings that were simply not correct...?

The BBC Inside Out documented the inaccuracy of the LTI 20/20 on how the 'slip effect' can add up to 30MPH to the recorded speed.

I get a speed reading off the side of a building which isn't moving. This video goes to show what is know as "Slip effect" where the panning or moving of the laser gun's beam along the side of an object a speed reading can be obtained whether the object is moving or not. This video shows mainly shows how I can get a speed reading off an object that isn't moving
    Last edited by ghosthunter; March 16th, 2012 at 06:20 PM.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Actually yan talaga ang pinaka concern ko sa mga speed guns na yan. Syempre lahat ng measurement device may tolerance sa accuracy. Kapag nahuli tayo pede na natin i-contest.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Bin Diesel View Post
    Actually yan talaga ang pinaka concern ko sa mga speed guns na yan. Syempre lahat ng measurement device may tolerance sa accuracy. Kapag nahuli tayo pede na natin i-contest.
    The speed gun itself is accurate. The problem is when it is used by the operator. It's the operator's movements (even the smallest) that can cause inaccuracies in measurement. Can you imagine how big the movement of a twitchy hand when magnified by a distance of 1000 meters? Then add to the fact that the target is moving at 60kph and you have to keep the speed gun aimed at a single point on the target.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    kailangan hindi pasmado ung mmda officer na humahawak ng speed gun or better yet ilagay na lang sa tripod para steady lang.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Retz View Post
    kailangan hindi pasmado ung mmda officer na humahawak ng speed gun or better yet ilagay na lang sa tripod para steady lang.
    Along macapagal, I noticed them using tripods.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Along macapagal, I noticed them using tripods.
    but here along commonwealth. nandun sila sa taas sa overpass. handheld lang nila yun speedguns + 2 way radio sa kabilang kamay..