New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    Dell XPS dati nagamit ko din, very durable and sturdy. Sarap nung puwede mo i-customize yung order mo eh. hehe

My issue with DELL laptops are that they have a tendency to hang due to heat especially if you are using it in a place without airconditioning. I am not sure if they have fixed this with their latest models though. This was true with DELL laptops in the years of 2000 to 2005 models.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    I had a Toshiba Satellite M70 since 2005, and still works ok. pinalitan ko ngayon nang SSD lalong bumilis ang booting up & processing. still playing with World of Warcraft, Counterstrike 1.6, NES roms.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by umi001 View Post
    If I was in the market for a laptop today, my first choice of brand would be Lenovo's Thinkpad line - great build quality, with some of the best keyboards you can find in a mobile device. Second would be ASUS - they have a good track record when it comes to hardware reliability, and have really stepped up when it comes to design. I'd also consider Sony, though the price can be a bit prohibitive.

Acer would be at the bottom of my list - my experience with them is that my laptop started to fall apart after a year - bit of a shame, since their machines can have nice specs for the price. I would consider HP and Dell, but only from their business lines (i.e., HP's EliteBook and ProBook and Dell's Latitude lines), as their home/consumer laptops are pretty poorly built.
    same here. my experience with acer is that their hinges crack even before a year.
    tapos kumakalas yung LCD.

GH, Asus had released a very thin laptop, parang Macbook air.... yun ang gamit nung isa kong kasama dito eh.

Samsung is also good. eto gamit ko ngayon eh..... RC418.
    the only hitch is medyo mataba.

pero naka i5, 8 GB RAM.
    running ubuntu 13.2.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    My issue with DELL laptops are that they have a tendency to hang due to heat especially if you are using it in a place without airconditioning. I am not sure if they have fixed this with their latest models though. This was true with DELL laptops in the years of 2000 to 2005 models.
    Is this specific to XPS?

I actually had three generations of Dell Latitude laptops and they were/are rock solid. C600, C610, D510, and E5510 (current). None exhibited that problem and I frequently operate my laptops in the field.

They're too reliable that I can't dish out any justification to request for a new one. The D510 for example, served me for 5 years! (2005 - 2010). I eventually had to ditch it since the max memory it can handle is a measly 2GB.

The E5510 I have right now is like a tank... weighs about the same too at almost 6 lbs! It's a Core i5 with 8GB RAM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Touchscreen na rin ba mga gamit niyong laptop? windows 8 na kasi ang os.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Very true, Im using a Dell M6500 (2011) before and it goes to a lot of warranty service from replacing video cards to mobo's mainly due to overheating. I think they are made to survive freezing temps rather than burning heat. Software updates doesn't help. I have upgraded to M6600 since then. My HP 8740W on the other hand has no problem with its cooling system even at room temps of 35C.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Is this specific to XPS?

I actually had three generations of Dell Latitude laptops and they were/are rock solid. C600, C610, D510, and E5510 (current). None exhibited that problem and I frequently operate my laptops in the field.

They're too reliable that I can't dish out any justification to request for a new one. The D510 for example, served me for 5 years! (2005 - 2010). I eventually had to ditch it since the max memory it can handle is a measly 2GB.

The E5510 I have right now is like a tank... weighs about the same too at almost 6 lbs! It's a Core i5 with 8GB RAM.
    Your latitude and E business series survive because they are not design for performance unlike the XPS (gaming) and Precision series (M6***). From processor Core i7 to its graphics card (i,e,FX3700) with dedicated memory, these line of Dells are suppose to be a workhorse, but unfortunately it failed maybe either due to a design problem or a bug in its cooling system.

If Toshiba had only continued producing precision laptops instead of multimedia variants I would have gotten myself a Toshiba, they are very reliable. Next to Toshiba is Asus.
    Last edited by glenn_duke; August 12th, 2013 at 08:10 PM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Which is the more reliable brand of laptop / notebook these days: Acer, Asus, Dell, HP, Toshiba? For home use only, maybe 12-14 inch screen size.

Is it still cheaper to get in U.S. (assuming shipping is free) or is the price difference negligible? Are there still brands that honor international warranty?
    The most reliable these days are Toshiba, Asus, HP, Sony and Dell. For international warranty, HP and Dell automatically has that, Asus and Sony also but you have to check the bundled warranty service card. Its better you buy it in the place of your location. The price difference from North American price is no more than $200 without shipping and taxes. It will become cheaper if you have somebody to bring it in rather than shipping it.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    same here. my experience with acer is that their hinges crack even before a year.
    tapos kumakalas yung LCD.

GH, Asus had released a very thin laptop, parang Macbook air.... yun ang gamit nung isa kong kasama dito eh.

Samsung is also good. eto gamit ko ngayon eh..... RC418.
    the only hitch is medyo mataba.

pero naka i5, 8 GB RAM.
    running ubuntu 13.2.

You must be talking about ASUS' ZENBOOK series... I have one. I bought it last year. It's my travel laptop as well as my current PC gaming laptop as well.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn_duke View Post
    The most reliable these days are Toshiba, Asus, HP, Sony and Dell. For international warranty, HP and Dell automatically has that, Asus and Sony also but you have to check the bundled warranty service card. Its better you buy it in the place of your location. The price difference from North American price is no more than $200 without shipping and taxes. It will become cheaper if you have somebody to bring it in rather than shipping it.

HP laptops are crap. I used to be a licensed tech fixing them years ago... crap then, still crap today.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Laptops / Notebooks for home use: Asus, Acer, Toshiba, etc.