New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    depends...

if it is my personal unit, i would go for a branded one. the one that i can use and even hand-over to my kid for the next 5 years.

if it is given/assigned to me by my office, i would go for a non-branded one, so i can have it changed after two years.

personally, i have used around 5 brands of laptops. of the 5, the then IBM ThinkPad was the most durable. i really don't know the quality of Lenovo laptops now. Second most durable is Toshiba, lasted around 5 years. the third is a Compaq. while the most non-durable is Acer. after around 8 months of using, the joint connecting the screen to the main body cracked.

i am using now an Asus laptop. mukhang matibay naman. i've been using this for 8 months already.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Avoid the TwinHeads. Our office issue before gave us a LOT of headaches mostly sa LCD.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    for personal use lang naman; ang kaso, i have a hyperactive pamangkin who has a sharp eye for all things new and shiny :D

i've heard na maganda nga raw ang asus, pero wala sa list ko coz of lack of local support

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    for personal use lang naman; ang kaso, i have a hyperactive pamangkin who has a sharp eye for all things new and shiny :D

i've heard na maganda nga raw ang asus, pero wala sa list ko coz of lack of local support
    Compaq karamihang nakikita ko ngayon. Si Mikmik dealer yan ng mga parts at laptops sigurado na ang 3 yrs warranty

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    i'l go for the branded, since sa market ngayon, bumababa na price even the apple imac, inote etc. nag-lower sila ng price. mas maganda pa performance.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post

How many years will you keep it? Kung personal use I suggest you go for the not so well known laptops that will give you 1 year warranty then invest in a backup device. Di naman kailangang high tech na backup device basta something that will store your precious data in a separate location. Ang nakikita kong names ng laptops na ito ay ASUS, ECS and NEO. Ingatan mo lang nasa pagiingat din yan. Kung makaspot ka ng lemon usually after a series of usage makikita mo naman agad yan eh. Pag tumagal sa iyo laptop mo ng > 3 years oks na yan kasi by that time I'm sure you will be needing a new one.

When it comes to parts, lahat ng laptop pagnasira eh mahirap makahanap ng parts whether branded or iyong generic. Makakita ka man ng parts sa branded or unbranded manghihinayang kang gastusan dahil mahal ito.

With regards to your pamangkin even your dream laptop worth 150k and above will be destroyed if you let him play with it.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    from my experience,

Kung may pera ka, go for the ones with the longest warranty period with the specs that you like, like what sir mikmik said. Sa akin kasi, wala yang mga brand-brand na yan. Usually kasi naka-subcontract naman sila sa mga Taiwan ODMs. Afaik, most laptops are made by Asus, Compal and Quanta.

The first lappy that we got was a MSI S270. Well lo and behold, after I watched how MSI tests their laptops, nabawasan ng line yung LCD. Buti na lang at may warranty pa. 7 months old pa lang yung laptop at di naman masyadong gamit. So ayun, isoli lang sa pinagbilhan at pinaltan naman ang LCD for free (dapat naman eh). Gamit sya ngayon ng sister ko at sana di na masira ulit.

Sana kukuha ulit ako ng MSI para paltan yung ageing desktop pc ko. Pero hindi, I ended up getting an ASUS (buti pumayag si tatay). What I like about ASUS is their 2 year warranty (I hope na hindi ko ito magamit soon). Ok naman sya, nababad ko ng 5 oras na nakabukas dahil gumagawa ng mga project proposal.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Kung first time na kukuha ng laptop, go for branded. Nothing beats the peace of mind of having dedicated personnel, service centers, and parts for such a costly investment. Kung upgrade lang o medyo tech savvy ang gagamit, consider tier 1 brands.

Asus and Acer laptops are widely available brands that feature 1+ year warranties. Most of their models sell for much less than similarly configured units from dell, hp and sony.

Don't forget Apple laptops. A few years ago only the denizens of higher financial strata can afford these babies - ngayon, you can purchase a bnew 13" core 2 duo macbook from sites like tipidpc for less than 80k (service and warranty care of apple center). With the new macbooks, you can use bootcamp to dualboot xp kaya di na masyadong restrictive for those who really need to use windows.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    i got a laptop dou core toshiba, i find it na talagang matibay ang toshiba its been 4 months na with me i bout in dubai duty free at times maghapon ko kung gamitin ito sa room ko kasi provided ng company yong internet connections kya pag sunday almost 12 hrs kung gamitin ko yong laptop apart from that everyday about 3-4 hrs of using gawa ng tsikot kasi pc to pc chatting to my wife etc...yong first laptop ko acer nag crack yong case underneath then everytime binubuksan ko there is some noise nawawala lang pag nag press na ako ng keys...

10. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    ei mga guys san po ba nag papatanggal ng gasgas sa laptopb casing? or painting center?? any one knows where?? dame na kc gasgas laptop ko

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
laptops: go cheap or go branded?