New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2006
    got a branded unit and so far no problem... knock on wood!

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    go for branded laptop with 2 years global warranty which is equivalent to 2 years of peace of mind.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    thanks for all the feedback; balak ko sanang bumili in the near future, probably a Sempron-based HP -- really don't plan on doing DNA-mapping and such, panay browsing lang for ****, este, research material B)

pansin ko lang, a lot of laptop makers are already bundling windows vista with their units; marketing strategy ata, pag entry level na laptop lang ang kukunin e mapipilitan kang mag 1gb RAM B)

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    mag Core 2 Duo ka na lang. or kung hindi swak sa budget, Core Duo. Syempre Centrino-based para tipid sa battery life.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    primary concern ko kasi is support and repairability, after my cousin's horror story last year; the Twinhead laptop conked out at around 1-2 months after the warranty lapsed. Nung dinala namin sa repair shop, baka raw ung mainboard na ang tinamaan, which would cost around 25k.

in addition, ang sabi is mahirap daw maghanap ng piyesa for the cheaper brands(Neo, ECS, etc.) since they tend to phase out models faster, and use new components for their newer units. ang advise sa akin is to get a brand with a local service center para hindi ganun kahirap maghanap ng piyesa kung sakaling masira.

on the other hand, the cheaper brands are BYO(build your own); di ko lang sure if this is what i read about Intel's CBB(Common Building Blocks) initiative or not. pero ung impression ko is that it would be easy to replace/upgrade components on your own. kinda contradicting to what the technician said.

comments?
    pards for personal use po ba ito or company use - like magrerecommend ka ng mga laptops for your company?

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I would rather get a unit that can give me a longer warranty for better peace of mind... Asus gives 2 years warranty... branded units from Acer sometimes have 3 years warranty built-in for the hi-end unit... HP, IBM & Apple can provide 3 years as long as you buy the upgrade warranty...

Intel has the VBI notebooks (Verified by Intel). For the Philippine market, interchangeable ang LCD, battery, keyboard, Optical Drive. Chassis & Motherboard you have to buy as 1... Memory, CPU & Hard drive you can put in anything you want in any combination...

Neo sources their notebooks from Tier 2 Taiwan manufacturers... The branded notebooks like HP, IBM they get from Tier 1 manufacturers and rarely from the Tier 2... so this means get Tier 1 notebooks from Asus, Compal & Quanta... other than those Taiwan brand names give them some doubt on their build quality & support...

My suggestion just make a scorecard of what you want putting side by side the specs, warranty & support... Dun mo malalaman ano ang sulit... I did my comparison when we bought our laptop... My choices are the Acer, Asus & VBI... I chose the VBI coz the specs of my notebook are similar to Macbook Pros worth at least 2,000 USD but I got mine for only 60k...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    good input sir....btw what does TIER means sa Tier 1 and Tier 2 that you mentioned...

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    Iba pa rin ang tibay ng branded.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    IMHO,- branded ang kunin. Less to worry.....

1801:fuzzy:

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by wildthing View Post
    good input sir....btw what does TIER means sa Tier 1 and Tier 2 that you mentioned...
    Tier 1 manufacturers produce the best quality units with better QC that is required by well known brands like HP, Dell, etc.

Tier 2 makes cheaper ones.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
laptops: go cheap or go branded?