New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    My son's laptop (Toshiba) can't be turned on! Bigla na lang namatay at ayaw ng mag-on.

Bago ko ipasok sa service center, baka may nakakaalam sa mga tsikoteers kung ano ang problema at paano ayusin. Baka sakaling pwedeng i-DIY.

Thanks in advance!

2. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Try removing battery and plug it in AC outlet... if there is a power indication... then your laptop is good... and might be a battery problem. try to put the battery again and check if it works or not...

btw, how old is your laptop?

3. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shotokan View Post
    Try removing battery and plug it in AC outlet... if there is a power indication... then your laptop is good... and might be a battery problem. try to put the battery again and check if it works or not...

btw, how old is your laptop?
    Thanks for the reply.

It didn't work. It's 3 or 4 years old.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Hmm I'm thinking a busted motherboard.

Happened to my dad's first laptop, Dell. Although ilang beses na nabagsak, 2-3 feet high gumana pa din then one day di na mag-on. Sold it for 2k. Repair is 7k, the laptop was way old the repair cost looks too much for me.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I found a few tips that might revive it:

-reseat the memory sticks.
    -remove cmos battery for a minute and then return.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for your replies and will try your suggestions.

Just checked the cord and adapter. They're working.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    It could be a short or a defective mainboard. My first iBook years ago had a similar problem.

If your Toshiba was built 3-4 years ago, It may have used the same defective capacitors that killed the motherboard of my DIY desktop pc (assembled July 2005) . Basically anything built from 2000 to 2007 may be affected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague#Symptoms

Luckily, my current Toshiba was a brand new release in late 2007. But, I'll be watching closely just in case.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    I just came from the Toshiba Service Center. The technician declared it's a dead set. He suspects it's the mother board; and, he's 95% sure. I asked how much is the mother board. It's around P20,000.00.

I just pulled out the unit. With that amount, I could buy a netbook.

Thanks for the replies.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    suggested netbook: Lenovo S10-2 with six cell battery & 2gb ram

But you might want to ask your son what he needs in a portable PC. The ten inch screen might not agree with him. Other entry level notebook PCs with 14 or 15 inch screens are just a few thousand pesos more and might be more what he wants/needs.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Try bringing your laptop to Hot Toyz.

http://www.hottoyzph.com/

They have branches in Quezon Ave and St Francis Square. Had a Toshiba laptop with a broken screen. Toshiba wanted 20,000 for a new screen. They replaced it for around 7,000.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast