New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue
    regarding laptops, dont buy the one's with built-in video, kahit pa intel graphics pa yun. sayang ang laptop.
    oldblue ano ba mga model ng laptop ang hindi built in video? does it mean pde i upgrade un video non if ever..? i thought kc memory and hard disk lang pde upgrade sa laptop.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by maykel
    oldblue ano ba mga model ng laptop ang hindi built in video? does it mean pde i upgrade un video non if ever..? i thought kc memory and hard disk lang pde upgrade sa laptop.
    hehehe tama ka, built-in is not right word for it. the term is used mainly on desktops motherboards.

but as I was saying, if you're familiar with chipsets, some motherboards (regardless if for desktop/mobile use) have built-in video and share video memory with your laptop's RAM. and if you will compare it with other hi-end laptops, laptops with built-in video are not that crisp kahit pa naka Active matrix TFT yun LCD screen ng laptop.

me kasi I'm very particular with displays. in facts laptops with built-in shared memory ones tend to have slow refresh & response rate.

the best partner for intel chipsets today eh yun ATI vids. Nvidia is more optimized on amd ones. kaso lang, i dont trust amd processors on laptops. mainitin.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pag nangangarap ako na bumili ng laptop, kahit low-end lang na laptop basta pang programming lang. kasi ung talagang hard task e sa desktop ko na gagawin, saka ung mga games.

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    Its difficult to type on a laptop keyboard. especially when you're typing so many documents.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Sanayan lang sa laptop keys, nung simula naninibago rin ako. If you want you can opt for a laptop that have desktop replacement specs. Usually 15" screen, 80-100G HDD, independent video ram, harman or jbl speakers, bulky/heavy.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    there may be powerful laptops that can match desktops pero sobrang mahal and battery life is next to nothing. you're lucky if you can watch Braveheart before the battery dries out

If you are a gamer, Desktops pa rin.

btw, you know that the apple Powerbook is the coolest laptop in the world right? hehehe. ayus din a ang laptop. I can surf sa Banyo while making poopoo like I'm doing now. surf sa bedroom, surf sa cofee shop.... and now, surf sa beachfront ng boracay
    Last edited by bad driver; October 9th, 2005 at 10:47 PM.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    If you are always on the go, say you travel a lot and need a computer while travelling or at your destination, a laptop is great. Other than that, there's no advantage.

Laptops are generally more expensive anywhere you go, and the smaller they get the more expensive they become. It's the price to pay for mobility, not to mention less sore arms or back for carrying them. For the price of a mainstream laptop you can get a blazingly fast desktop with all the bells and whistles, you might even get a good printer too.

Laptops have a limit of how big their screens can get, and if you like watching movies or playing graphics intensive games, you're better off with a desktop and a large screen.

Laptops today aren't really laptops anymore. They're more powerful, and so run hotter. You will have to put one on, you guessed it, a desk!

The best is to have both. I'm currently using a Thinkpad T42, but will still get a desktop to leave at home.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by the_wildthing
    If you are always on the go, say you travel a lot and need a computer while travelling or at your destination, a laptop is great. Other than that, there's no advantage.
    Agree. I'm using a laptop since I always travel. Otherwise, I would prefer a desktop.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bad driver
    you're lucky if you can watch Braveheart before the battery dries out
    yun nga lang ang badtrip talaga sa laptop, bilis ma lobat.

ano ba max life ng battery of the latest models?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    depends on your need.

if you spend more than half of your waking hours travelling or on the road, a laptop with a wifi facility is the best.

but if you are spending more time in the office or at home, a souped-up desktop is the best.

disadvantages of using a laptop:

a) pwedeng mawala o nakawin while on the road.
    b) mas marupok
    c) ang hirap ng upgrading

tama yung isang poster dito. don't buy branded desktops if you decide on using one. for one, proprietary yung mga parts, tapos ang mahal.

go for one that you can assemble yourself, using the best components.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
laptop or desktop?