New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    It's the end of the line for Windows XP

LOS ANGELES — After 13 years, it's finally the end of the line for Microsoft's venerable Windows XP operating system.

The software — introduced in an era before texting, Facebook, Snapchat, the iPhone and iPad — has lingered thanks to the reluctance of many consumers and small businesses to change. Despite its age, XP is the No. 2 computer operating system, and many folks are in store for a rude wake-up call.

Microsoft on Tuesday ceases official support for XP. The company will no longer issue patches or system updates to protect against viruses and other malware. If you run into any snags at all, you won't be able to call Microsoft for technical assistance.

On the second Tuesday of every month, Microsoft issues new security patches for its operating systems. Going forward, XP will become an even bigger target for hackers as they take information about new problems with Windows 7 or Windows 8 and apply them to XP.

more.....
    It's the end of the line for Windows XP
    Goodbye to the most stable and reliable windows os....

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    it's about damn time.

also related,

Quote Originally Posted by theverge.com
    The most hated browser in the world is finally dead

After the release of Windows XP in 2001 and for a few years that followed, Internet Explorer 6 was the biggest, most important browser in the world. And for longer, it has been the buggy browser that's overstayed its welcome. Microsoft announced it would support IE6 through April of this year back in 2009, and today (along with XP and Office 2003) is the last day Microsoft will provide updates. Unless you're an old user who couldn't care less or are somehow nostalgic for a broken web, it's finally time to say goodbye.

IE6 is almost universally reviled, and for good reason. Microsoft got cocky in the mid-aughts after beating down Netscape Navigator; because Internet Explorer overall held more than 90 percent of the market, it took a solid five years before IE7 debuted. Meanwhile, security issues slipped through massive cracks, with fixes coming in few and far between. (Nevermind the fact that IE6 was never fully standards compliant.) It got so bad that full-blown campaigns were launched calling for its death. User antipathy contributed directly to browsers like Firefox and Chrome being able to wrest users away from IE in general, and you can generally see a distrust for Microsoft's actually good browsers to this day. Even Redmond got in on the joke.

Unfortunately, the 12-year-old browser still commands 4.15 percent of the market, so it's not completely gone. So do your loved ones a favor and upgrade them to literally anything else. They'll thank you for it.

source article

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    who can forget those blue screens..

4. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    No more PATCH, thats it

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Using Linux on my company-issued laptop because of this. We're only allowed to install the 64-bit version of Win7 and they're too cheap to buy new laptops for everyone. My office desktop already runs Win7 though.

The scary thing is a huge majority of ATMs still run XP.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Netbook and Windows7/8 - dead on the water....

23.0K:bokmal:

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    Using Linux on my company-issued laptop because of this. We're only allowed to install the 64-bit version of Win7 and they're too cheap to buy new laptops for everyone. My office desktop already runs Win7 though.

The scary thing is a huge majority of ATMs still run XP.
    yes, i still see a lot of xp screens when bank people do maintenance on atm machines here.

what linux distro are you using?

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Good riddance

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by roninblade View Post
    yes, i still see a lot of xp screens when bank people do maintenance on atm machines here.

what linux distro are you using?
    Unbreakable. That's the only distro allowed on company machines.

10. Join Date
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Retz View Post
    Goodbye to the most stable and reliable windows os....
    Di naman really end ng Windows XP. Pwede pa naman gumamit ng XP, pero wala lang updates from MS.

Sa Pinas and other countries sigurado madami pang computers sa mga offices and bahay using XP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast