New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    In preparation for the arrival of my dell mini 12, and with my plan to downgrade the pre-installed Vista OS to Windows XP, I was able to successfully create a Bootable USB with a Windows XP Pro Operating System. Now my question relates to the actual, installation of the Windows XP Pro OS.

I have tried the installation using the said bootable USB with the desktop and I was able to do it smoothly...

This is my first laptop (dell mini 12) and I have read that the procedure for installing an OS in a mini is different...hope you could help...as I have said I intend to use the Bootable USB with a Windows XP Pro Operating System

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    With my first netbook, I didn't bother making a bootable USB flash drive. I just attached a CDROM drive via USB/IDE adapter and used my copy of Windows XP installation CD.

After that, I just configured the boot sequence in the bios to start from optical drive instead from the HDD as primary.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; May 25th, 2009 at 08:57 AM.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    With my first netbook, I didn't bother making a bootable USB flash drive. I just attached a CDROM drive via USB/IDE adapter and used my copy of Windows XP installation CD.

After that, I just configured the boot sequence in the bios to start from optical drive instead from the HDD as primary.
    will I have to configure first anything in the bios (such as sata raid, or something???) before installing the XP OS?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by attyallanlatras View Post
    will I have to configure first anything in the bios (such as sata raid, or something???) before installing the XP OS?
    yup, even using the flash drive, you will have to configure the BIOS to boot from USB device. (Not sata raid).

Installing Windows XP through USB, Help...