New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    I have 2 mirror type dash cams, the images taken by the rear cameras of both dash cams are vertically flipped. no matter the car is moving forwards or backwards.

Is this normal in mirror type dash cams?

Does the rear camera of your dash cam also create a flipped image?

I tried to upload an screenshot, but the upload option did not work.
    Last edited by bigT; May 8th, 2019 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Add the note about the upload option.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Just to be clear, when you say "flipped", does the monitor show the image to be upside down or left becoming right?
    Last edited by oj88; May 8th, 2019 at 01:55 PM.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    pag may words hindi mo mabasa?

4. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Just to be clear, when you say "flipped", does the monitor show the image to be upside down or left becoming right?
    Left becomes right.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    My observation with my own dashcam is that, the live view is mirrored. So left objects in relation to your vehicle appear on the left side of the screen as you view it using the built-in LCD display.

However, when playing back the file on an external device (PC, mobile phone), the image orientation is correct. The object to the left of your vehicle will appear on the right of your screen upon playback.... just as how the camera sees it.

This means that the mirroring only happens on the dashcam's live view display.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    My observation with my own dashcam is that, the live view is mirrored. So left objects in relation to your vehicle appear on the left side of the screen as you view it using the built-in LCD display.

However, when playing back the file on an external device (PC, mobile phone), the image orientation is correct. The object to the left of your vehicle will appear on the right of your screen upon playback.... just as how the camera sees it.

This means that the mirroring only happens on the dashcam's live view display.

I have been trying to upload a screeshot, but I can’t. I have posted a similar question in another forum, please open the link

Image taken by rear camera flipped | DashCamTalk

the screenshot was from a video taken by the rear camera of my dash cam, the car was behind my car and was moving in the same direction as mine. You can see the plate number was vertically flipped.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Upload the image on Imgur and post the BBCode here.

But anyway, if you haven't done so, you'll have to check the camera settings if it has the option to flip the rear camera image. Otherwise, there's nothing much that can be done other than use a video editing tool or player like VLC to flip it back to normal once the file has been extracted.

Worst case, you would only have to do this if you need the footage for something (ie. after an accident or reviewing a notable event).

8. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    It's quite possible he installed the dashcam upside down ...

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    It's quite possible he installed the dashcam upside down ...
    I highly doubt it. If it was, the image on the screen and the output file will also be upside down.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Happened to two of my dashcams with rear cameras. There is a setting in the dashcam that solves this issue. Explore mo lang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk