New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Okay here's the deal: I have a PC, PS2, Xbox 360 and DVD player in my room. Currently I also have a rather bulky 22" Sony CRT Trinitron TV.

The PC is a "new" addition - basically it's second-hand and comes with everything except a monitor. I'd love to use it as it's still pretty usable, so I need a monitor.

It dawned on me though: Why not hook up ALL of my sources to one hybrid LCD TV/monitor and save myself some space while I'm at it? I found a nice solution: the LG M227WA.
    http://www.lg.com/ph/it-product/monitor/LG-M227WA.jsp

It's a 21.5" screen with 2 HDMI inputs, a coaxial antenna/cable jack for TV, component, S-video and RCA inputs for video, and VGA and DVI-D for monitor usage. Full HD resolution, too.

Now my questions are:
    1) Is it any good as a plain PC monitor? Are fonts still readable?
    2) Is it any good as a plain TV?
    3) Is it any good for gaming? Does it have annoying quirks like ghosting on the display?

Just trying to finalize my decision before I take the plunge - it seems like a really good deal. Thanks in advance

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Why not just get a good LCD TV with VGA/HMDI input? It would serve the purpose.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Agreed. A 1080p LCD tv would make a good monitor. We have our Mac Mini hooked up to our Sony Bravia.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Since the LG was really made for monitor use, it'll be okay.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Why not just get a good LCD TV with VGA/HMDI input? It would serve the purpose.
    Two words: Price difference.

The LG M227WA sells for anywhere from PhP11.5-13K, depending on where you shop. Samsung also sells a slightly larger 23" hybrid TV/monitor for about PhP15K. Both are 1080p/i capable. I can't think of a comparable dedicated LCD TV that sells for that much.

I'm not after a huge screen either; we have proper LCD TVs (32" ++) for proper couch potato use.

Hybrid LCD TV/monitors: Are they any good?