New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hello geekheads, :electricf:

I know it's unethical to attach big file on emails but I really need to send it to my cousin, it's a video file around 3 gig in size..is there a way? or impossible?

I'll be using a wed based email particularly gmail.

any software I need to use or anywhere I can upload it for free?

TIA.
    Last edited by shadow; March 19th, 2009 at 08:14 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post

I know it's unethical to attach big file on emails but I really need to send it to my cousin, it's a video file around 3 gig in size..is there a way? or impossible?

TIA.
    Is it a raw video file or is it a long video file in a compressed format? If it's the former, maybe you can further reduce the size by using a compressed format like .wmv. That format seems to yield the smallest file sizes.

The only uploading method I can think of is via *******. It's not just for downloading bootleg stuff you know. But, I wouldn't know how since I've never attempted it. It just seemed to make sense.

Most email sites have limits on how big a file to transmit/upload. Even YouTube has a 1gb(?) limit.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I was thinking of possibly using older peer-to-peer file sharing like KAZAA or similar to send the rather huge file.

or

Using one of the paid or free online file storage services you can find via google. If you can't find a service with a 3.5gig capacity, you can always chop the video file to 2 or more pieces and upload to two or more accounts.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; March 20th, 2009 at 02:13 AM.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    afaik, gmail's limit is 20mb including attachments.. here's how i send large video files..

i use Winrar and MegaManager. First i created a free account at **********, then downloaded and installed megamanager. i chose ********** coz u can pause and resume your uploads & downloads.

say you're sending a 3 gig video file. using Winrar, compress the file and split it into bite-size pieces (98078kb) resulting in 30+ smaller (.rar) files..

then using megamanager, log-in to ur free account & upload the files one at a time to **********. uploading is slower than downloading, averaging around 30 minutes per 100mb file so i doubt it if u can finish this in one sitting.. once you've uploaded around 5 files or so, send the download link to your cousin so he can download the files while you're uploading another batch of files.

once he's downloaded all the files you've sent, he also need to use Winrar to unpacked the small files into the original large video file.. and you're done..

hope this helps..
    Last edited by Elroi; March 20th, 2009 at 05:14 AM. Reason: attached the screenshot

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It's going to be mind numbing to upload over 3 gigabytes worth of zip/rar files into the email.

I'd rather go for the online file storage solution.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    3Gb is waaaaaay toooo big for email attachments. Maybe you can lease a 3Gb space in Tsikot's server and let your cousin download it from here, or something similar. Pag peer-to-peer, baka naman masayang lang yung na-download ng cousin mo pag naputol yung connection niyo. Using bite-size pieces of winrar is a good idea, or any method that would cut the 3Gb into ~30 100Mbs then puwede na mag-peer-to-peer.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002

TIA.
    if video quality is not that much of an issue, try to recompress the video so that size will be reduced pero yung hindi naman mag suffer masyado quality.

use HJSplit (freeware) to split the file into several small chunks, you will have to send the HJSplit software to the recepient too kasi kailangan nya yun when he put back together the video

once you've split the file, attach the chunks to an email and send it by batch.

or you can use "http://www.yousendit.com/" to send the file chunks.
    Last edited by artpogi; March 20th, 2009 at 11:04 AM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    thanks everybody, hinde impossible but maraming trabaho...

Fedex ko na lang yun discs....hehehe

9. Join Date
    Aug 2005

TIA.
    If its a one 3gig file you have to split it using hjsplit then upload it to a file hosting site, I recommend *********. Once you uploaded it, share the link to your friend. Might want to share it to us also? he he he
    Last edited by leinahtan; March 20th, 2009 at 11:16 AM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    thanks everybody, hinde impossible but maraming trabaho...

Fedex ko na lang yun discs....hehehe
    Make sure it's properly padded when you pack it. I've experience receiving a shattered/damaged CD when it was sent via parcel. It simply packed in a standard CD case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
how to attach big files on emails?