New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Anybody with a computer server at home around here? what are the pros and cons of having a server? I ask because I just purchased my fourth computer (a replacement of a five year old desktop) and was thinking of using the old computer as a server if possible. The old computer is a 1.3Ghz Celeron with 512mb and a 40G hard drive, if I were to make this into a server would I need to upgrade any of the components.Thanks. Joe.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by joeverzosa View Post
    Anybody with a computer server at home around here? what are the pros and cons of having a server? I ask because I just purchased my fourth computer (a replacement of a five year old desktop) and was thinking of using the old computer as a server if possible. The old computer is a 1.3Ghz Celeron with 512mb and a 40G hard drive, if I were to make this into a server would I need to upgrade any of the components.Thanks. Joe.
    What do you need a server for? The stuff you would need to upgrade depends on what OS it will be running and tasks it will be doing.

Pros:
    -certain files always available to any PC

Cons:
    -consumes power even if it's idle most of the day.

The closest thing I have to a server at home is an old Pentium3 800mhz with 384megs of ram which I use as a download PC for my *******s. It runs on WIndows XP and upgraded with a 250gig HDD as its primary download storage. It also houses a 20gig (boot drive) and an old 80gig HDD for music downloads. It also serves as my printer share PC. And since I also enabled file sharing, it can watch my downloaded tv shows & movies on my media PC attached to my big screen tv in my bedroom via wifi network.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    agree with gh... what is the purpose of the server? a file server? a backup server? or a firewall and a proxy server?

kung file or backup server, you don't need to have it set. just put it in a network, and copy and paste files.

kung firewall or a proxy server so you can share a secured internet connection, medyo may kabuluhan ng onti specially if you are running multiple computers.

i can help you with the last one. PM na lang if interested.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    The so-called "server" whould be pretty much similar to the way ghosthunter has his set up. Thanks.

5. FrankDrebin Guest
    Ulitin ko uli. Hehehe.

What's the purpose of having a "home" server? Proxy, Web, DC, DNS, DHCP, Mail, Data, etc.?

For testing or educational purposes, you can try this MS product.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...c/default.mspx

Isang PC lang ang kailangan. :D

Home Server?