New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    acn you also post the picture where it would show how the light from the halogen lamp gets into the fiber optic cord? Is it simply the cut end of the fiber optic cord?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    No problem finding the fiber optic cord, I can source that one out.

Computers have 12V? That's good to hear. Madami ako power supply sa bahay.

The end of the optic cable is just aligned with the lamp. The light will travel throug it. I plan to use HID instead of halogen.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    No problem finding the fiber optic cord, I can source that one out.

Computers have 12V? That's good to hear. Madami ako power supply sa bahay.

The end of the optic cable is just aligned with the lamp. The light will travel throug it. I plan to use HID instead of halogen.
    Yes, 12v (~30A+ on the average) and 5V (~30A+) and 3.3V (~30A+).

Good luck.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'm looking at the PSU's of our junked PC's. Ang dami palang wires na lumalabas sa kanya. How will I choose which ones will power the HID and how do I put a switch? :D

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    yeah marami syang wires.

You'd see yung malaking block (either 20pin or 24pin). may black and green dun. yun yun kailangan i-short (or lagyan ng switch but for testing, use a paper clip).

The yellow is the +12v and the blue is -12v. I'm not sure though what's the difference between using the -12v and ground (black) for the HID. As for the harddisks (which uses 12v and 5v), it uses the +12v and the ground.

ATX power connector;

Tapos dun sa power para sa harddisk (yung apat ang wire).
    Ang +12v yung yellow wire. Negative would be the black. Red is +5V
    Last edited by Horsepower; March 28th, 2009 at 03:51 AM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'm presenting my proposal for this project tomorrow. Wish me luck. I might use an off the shelf power supply. The PC power supply had so many wires, my head was spinning. hehehe.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Follow up question.

What device can I use to measure light output and heat?

8. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    I'm presenting my proposal for this project tomorrow. Wish me luck. I might use an off the shelf power supply. The PC power supply had so many wires, my head was spinning. hehehe.
    Doc, *Horsepower's post is the answer here. Regardless of how many wires there are, those are the only two sockets you'll need. The first image he posted is ONLY one in any standard PC power supplies (the one you'll ground the Black and Green wires to start up the power supply). The second image is a plenty, but you'll need only one (these are in series, so it wouldn't matter where you'll connect your HID or switch).

I wish I could've read this earlier, it's really interesting really. If I'd be the one to do it, all I'll need is 2 fuse and 2 switches (or 1 even). One switch to connect to the green and black wire of the 24-pin socket of the PSU to power it up, and another one to power up the HID which is connected to the RED and BLACK wire of the standard hard drive socket (which should normally be four in a standard PC power supply). Connect the PSU to a trusty AVR or UPS even to ensure that no electrical surge will damage your system (cool yung UPS though, hehe gagana pa rin yung rig mo kahit mawalang ng koryente for at least five minutes if HID lang ikakabit) and enclose it in a box with at least one AC connected 12cm fan and you pretty much have it.

As for calculating temperature readings, you can get a PC temperature reader similar to this: http://www.tipidpc.com/viewitem.php?iid=3966068

Install it in your case or box where you'll install all your components. Pretty cheap I think. HTH and goodluck chief

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    My proposal was accepted. Yipee.

Now I need to find an objective way to measure the light out put and temperature of my device vs. those of existing devices.

I saw a lux meter in Raon retailing for Php1,500.00. Ok na ba ito? I figure I can make a shroud for it so all the light goes into the sensor.

Or will a photographer's light meter work?

Saw the AC/DC 12V 6A power supply also. Last price was Php550.00.

Anyone got a lux meter and thermometer? :D

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I was thinking of photo light meter last night, pero di pa ako nakagamit nun e. If it will give you figures like candela or whatever unit it measures that you might need, then ok na siguro than spend on a lux meter. :D

Ok na rin yung price na 550 for the 12v 6a. Hopefully totoo ang output na 6A tapos switching psu (ito yung walang transformer at sobrang gaan parang notebook charger). Lagyan mo na rin doc ng fuse from the power supply to the hid para safe.
    Anyway, pag bumigay, call me. I'll fix one PC PSU up for you. hehe. Ang ok kasi dun, may fan. No matter how long you use it, it has active cooling system. We can just remove all the unnecessary wires, put a switch on the psu body shorting the green and blue, tapos, ang output yung yellow (+12v) and black (ground) lang nakalabas para di malito ang kahit sino na gagamit.

Im sure you have a thermometer lying around there somewhere. hehe.

Good luck.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
HELP:  Using car HID with 220V